Contests

So it looks like I didn’t final in another contest. Out of the past thirteen I entered, I’ve finalled in one. That can get pretty depressing, especially since I thought I was getting better, not worse. In 2003 I finalled in 7 contests with 5 manuscripts. Worse, some of those finalling manuscripts haven’t been able to repeat. So what is going on?

I’d like to say competition is more fierce, but frankly, my scores aren’t that good. Are the judges getting pickier? The scoresheets too detailed? I wish I could figure it out. And in at least two of the 13 contests, including the Golden Heart, one judge knocked me out of the running.

Why do I keep entering? There is nothing like the validation when you get that call or email. Since I’m waiting for word on my two novels at Intimate Moments and another novel with Harlequin American, contest deadlines give me something to look forward to. And then I hear someone else finalling in that contest and I’m on pins and needles till the finalist list is posted. It’s not a pleasant sensation.

So why do I have three more contests bookmarked? Let’s just say I’m a glutton for punishment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Contests are like ice skating competitions...don't forget that. Subjective, and two people can see the same thing and give totally different scores. You're good, Mar. THAT is what matters!

Hearthkeeper

MJFredrick said...

SMOOCH, J! My tendency is to figure out WHY, but I don't write to final in contests, you know? I need to remember that.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box