Movies

funny pictures of dogs with captions
see more dog and puppy pictures

It's been awhile since I've talked about movies, mainly because I'm too lazy to write up reviews. I saw three movies this weekend, two at the theater and one on DVD.

First was The Ugly Truth. You know I love me some Gerry, and this was a movie I'd been looking forward to. I knew the dh would not appreciate it, so I went by myself Friday AM. I really enjoyed it. It was pretty typical for a romantic comedy: opposites butt heads, then fall in love when she figures out what she thinks she wants isn't what she wants. There is a dance scene that's SMOKIN' and worth the price of admission. The R rating is for the language and subject matter.

Then we watched TAKEN, which has been number one on my queue since MAY. Good grief. It was very enjoyable, a dad who is unable to give his teenaged daughter anything to match what her rich stepdad can, and ends up risking his life to save hers. Liam Neeson is AWESOME. Awe. Some. Forgot how cool he was. The only quibble---he should have been all over the ex-wife with "I TOLD YOU SO." Just sayin'.

Then yesterday we went to see Harry Potter at long last. I should have watched the fifth movie before because I spent the first few minutes confused. Other than that, I thought the pacing was way off. All the action was crammed in the end, and the middle could have been trimmed. And I don't remember the book well enough, but did they change the ending? I thought there was a battle at Hogwarts, but maybe that's a different book? Also, I wanted more Luna.

I was excited by the preview for the new Disney movie, The Princess and the Frog. I love stories about New Orleans and I love the old-fashioned Disney movies. Don't know who I can get to go with me....

Anyway, what have you seen lately and enjoyed? Or not enjoyed?


Photobucket

7 comments:

Mary Curry said...

Ohhh, just watched the Disney trailer on the website. I wanna see it now. I'm such a sucker for Disney romances.

CandaceCalvert said...

We saw TAKEN, too--excellent.

Alyssa Kirk said...

LOVED TAKEN! As soon as we got out of the movie theater we were all thinking the same thing, BUY IT! Saw Harry Potter, didn't enjoy it, you can read our review here
http://teensreadandwrite.blogspot.com/2009/07/harry-potter-and-half-blood-prince.html

Trish Milburn said...

Watched Confessions of a Shopaholic last night. Cute. I just love Hugh Dancy.

MJFredrick said...

Mary, me, TOO! And it's been so long....what was the last Disney animated movie, not counting Pixar?

Candace, were your ears ringing last night? I was talking about you and how cool you are. I think everyone was surprised by TAKEN--it was certainly a sleeper hit.

Alyssa, that review says it all for me! WHY did they bother to bring the death eaters to Hogwarts if NOT for an epic battle? Yeesh. And the movie could have been much shorter, IMO.

Trish, I saw that a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it. The actress reminded me of Amy Adams.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I actually thought the Harry Potter movie moved much more smoothly than the last one did. That one was two-minute shot to two-minute shot with no interconnection. I loved Malfoy and how they handled that thread, though I hated how they handled the Ginny thread, and yes, though I knew they'd removed the battle so it wouldn't detract from the huge battle at the end of the next (two) movie(s), the whole thing was very anticlimactic for me.

I saw Aliens in the Attic--much better, funnier, than I expected it to be--and (500) Days of Summer, which was also very good. It was somehow an uplifting movie even with the downer of a subject.

MJFredrick said...

Okay, I put both Aliens in the Attic and (500) Days of Summer in my queue. And I need to rewatch HP #5. I know I didn't like that one as much as the other 4, probably for the reasons you mentioned.

I did see Secret Life of Bees this week and LOVED IT.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box