Awards and Positive Thoughts

funny pictures of cats with
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

This is JUST how I feel.

The boy's award ceremony was last night. With a class as big as his, they have to do the awards separately or it will be interminable. He'll be graduating Cum Laude, which, considering he rarely did homework, is pretty good. I told the dh, just imagine if we'd pushed him. He got awards in newspaper and video tech, and is a National Commended Scholar.

What I noticed partway through the ceremony (we left during the Ms) was that the dh made a point of clapping for the kids who got the award that all the kids got, Texas Scholar Candidate. That's what they get for completing the recommended courses, and all the kids graduating have done that, obviously. But back to the dh. I realized that while I knew how hard it was for the kids to get through school from a teacher's perspective, he knew from a student's perspective. It made me even more determined to notice every kid. Sounds easy when you have 21 kids, but it's not always.

Today one of my VERY noticeable kids will be absent. His dad, who isn't even 30, I don't think, is going in for brain surgery. He has a tumor the size of a golf ball. I'm worried about this kid, who worships his daddy. So if you have a moment, send a prayer Carlos's way.

I have to be fingerprinted today. Yes, less than a month before I complete my 20th year, they decide all the teachers need to be printed. We've had THREE meetings about it. Fer realz. And you know what they wanted? Our WEIGHT. One teacher said, "They don't have a scale, I'm lying!" Love that. Because I'm NOT putting my weight on any documentation!

I'm blogging at
Supernatural Sisters today.

Photobucket

2 comments:

mary beth said...

Congrats to your DS. We don't do awards for Texas Scholar any more. In fact, they've pretty much made the award ceremony about National Merit only. They should include state academics, but they don't. :-(
Prayers out to your student and his dad.

MJFredrick said...

Thanks, Mary Beth! I think it's a shame they don't include state academics!

Tomorrow is our award day at school, and all we're doing is honor roll. I don't have any kids with perfect attendance. Usually we do commended performance on TAKS, too, but we've not gotten our scores yet!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box