Love Them or Just Enjoy Them?

cat
more cat pictures

I read a comment by an author today about how they "enjoyed" writing a couple's story. I thought, "Enjoyed? Really?" And then I thought about it some more. You know, there are stories I loved writing more than others, characters I love more than others. I think when you have a certain level of output, it's bound to happen. I'm sure my cp cannot possibly fall in love with all the characters in all the short romances she writes.

So I started thinking about my own stories. I LOVE Noah and Ellie.

Photobucket

JDM

I LOVE Gabe and Peyton, or I wouldn't have fought so hard for that story!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I LOVE Adrian and Mallory, whose story I'll be revising soon.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Spy Girl, which will go into revisions as I'm going back to school - LOVED.

Photobucket

Photobucket

But the others....I think I just enjoyed them. I'm going to be revising the end of my Wayback story this week, and I just enjoyed the characters. I'm not really excited about going back into it. I have a good ending, I think, but I'm meh.

My ghost hunters story - meh.

My vampire story - meh.

Breaking Daylight - the characters are compelling but I don't love them. I just want to see them have a HEA.

Don't Look Back...I enjoyed writing that story, but I don't remember feeling passionate about it.

So I started wondering, does it show? Both BD and DLB have won a number of contests, so I guess not. I wasn't passionate about Where There's Smoke and it has kicked Hot Shot's booty in both reviews and sales.

But I much prefer falling in love with my characters than just enjoying them. It makes writing so much more fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Writing is definitely more fun when I love the story! :)

Dixie Belle said...

I love all your photos!!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box