The Benefits of Walking

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

Okay, I didn’t know about Schrodinger’s cat until I watched Big Bang Theory. Sad, huh?

I’ve been doing good with my walking except for Tuesday when I turned back because of rain and Wednesday when it rained more. I SO didn’t want to go yesterday, but made myself, and thought I’d share what I like about it.

1) Listening to the Glee station on Pandora

a. I didn’t know you could do this, but you can make stations on the Pandora app based on artists you like. So I have one for GLEE. There are Glee songs mixed in with the original songs, and some other harmonizing kinds of songs, like “Little Bitty Pretty One.” “Don’t Stop Believing is the perfect pace for when I get started, but by the end of the walk, the beat of “Color My World” is more apt.

b. The downside here is that some of the songs are pretty peppy. And sing-along friendly. There are a lot of people out in my neighborhood in the mornings. This could get embarrassing. Also, you might end on a less-than-desirable song and end up singing it all day. Like, say, “Little Bitty Pretty One.”

2) Inspiration

a. I like looking at people’s houses, the way they decorate, landscape and the colors they choose. One house down the street has the most gorgeous RED crape myrtle. You just don’t see those a lot.

b. I like seeing the 50-something lady who rides her bike every day, helmet, fanny pack and all.

3) Knowing what day it is

a. If the blue cans are out, it’s Recycle Monday

b. If the empty blue cans are out, it’s Tuesday and people forgot to put up their cans.

c. No cans—Wednesday

d. Brown cans—trash Friday

I do hate trying to avoid the garbage truck, though. Ugh.

4) Interesting sights

a. Like the very tall man with the very big dog

b. Or the daddy showing his little boy how to jump start a car

c. Damage from the storms we’ve had two weeks in a row that leave trees branchless

5) A 30 minute walk is exactly the length of time for a load of wash, or a load of dishes.

6) Coming home and scarfing a big bowl of granola and fruit. Mmm.

7) Working out plot/story problems, since I’m listening to music and not a book, which was my original plan.

What do you like about exercising?

You can see in this picture why he was Stephanie Meyers’s first choice to play Edward, can’t you?

Photobucket

8 comments:

Mary Curry said...

Good going with the walking, Mary. I just bought a pair of Skechers Shape Ups - not really for the shape up part (though that would be a nice benefit) but because my feet feel so happy in them when I walk. They take a bit of getting used to but the rolling motion of "walking on wet sand" is really comfortable for me. They're pricey but I read such rave reviews from people who are on their feet all day (nurses, teachers :) ) that I decided to give them a try.

Anonymous said...

I've been walking--mostly everyday--for several years. I try to vary the route. Sometimes I go to a park that's close; sometimes, it's just a stroll around the neighborhood. I especially like the change of season. I know everyone says we don't have any except summer, but we do. They're subtle. In the park, I see lots of wildlife, and that's nice. I don't listen to anything except what's going on around me. It really helps to sort out my day.

Elisabeth Crisp said...

The last post was me. For some reason my url didn't show up on the post.

MJFredrick said...

Mary, I almost bought some of those but I heard they're uncomfortable if you're standing still. What do you think?

Elizabeth, that's awesome. I'm going the same route right now because I timed it and it's 30 minutes. When I sit outside to write I don't listen to anything, but I kind of like the barrier of having headphones on. I'm not the most social person.

Mary Curry said...

Actually I find them really comfortable standing still. I've been having bad sciatic pain lately and these seem to help reduce that. When I stand still I sort of roll on them and it's kind of a cool feeling. Okay, call me a dork.

I don't know if there are different styles of them. I did try a pair on a few months ago and rejected them because they felt so heavy. But when I put these on, my feet rejoiced.


Back to your original question - I walk a lot - 1/2 an hour each coming and going to work, plus all around school all day obviously, and then walking the dog. I love to plot while I'm walking although I sometimes wonder if it's dangerous since I get in a trance and don't even remember crossing the streets. Apparently my subconscious is watching the traffic lights and cars.

If I was listening to Glee, I'd definitely be singing along because I find myself singing the songs even without my iPod on.

MJFredrick said...

My SIL has the flip-flops, so I'm going to see about the slides, since we can't wear flip-flops at school.

And yes, I sing even without the iPod. The dh is like, "Why are you whistling 'To Sir With Love?'"

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

There is nothing I like about exercising, except the result, which is still far to subtle to keep me going forever. :( But I do waves.

I've been thinking about the Shape-Ups. Thanks, MaryC, for the review! :) MJ, do they make them in FLIP-FLOPS? *goes to research*

MJFredrick said...

Flip flops and SLIDES. I bought the slides.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box