Angel with Attitude

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Valerie Grace is a fallen angel, only she doesn’t know why she’s been kicked out of heaven. All she knows is that she’s stuck in Niagara Falls working as a maid in a seedy motel and avoiding a sexy Tempter demon while trying to find her way back to heaven.

Help comes from an unexpected source, hope is offered and snatched away. Her chance to get into heaven becomes a threat to the balance of good and evil. Now her quest to get into heaven becomes a quest to save the world.

To do this, she has to turn to the one person (being?) who threatens her chance for heaven, her sexy Tempter demon Nathaniel, who has issues of his own. Their journey takes them to the Underworld which is not what you’d expect.

That’s what I loved about this book – nothing was what it seemed, and nothing was what you expected it to be.

The quest was exciting and fun as Val and Nathaniel bumped into problem after problem. Val was a great heroine, capable of holding her own with the demon population, determined to get back into heaven, not only for herself, but for the other fallen angels she found.

I loved the secondary characters, the petulant child psychic, a talking rat, a witch who works at McDonald’s. And WAIT till you meet Lloyd! Best. Secondary Character. Ever.

Michelle Rowen’s dialogue snaps with wit and she brings terrific visuals to the page – a purple WalMart robe over a McDonald’s uniform, a sign that says “Welcome to the Underworld,” a “demony-bachelor pad.” Her imagination runs rampant with the monsters, villains and other demons.

Maybe it was just me, and that I read her blog and know she loves Buffy, but I got a Buffy-esque vibe from this book. I saw Nathaniel as Angel and Julian as Spike and Lisa as Faith….

The ending was terrific, weaving all the threads together in a clever and satisfying way.

This is my second Michelle Rowen book (coincidentally, hers as well ;) ) and it will not be my last!

9 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I was just hitting folks up over on my blog for something good to read -- so this post of yours is perfect timing.

I'll go get it. Thanks!

Kelly Boyce said...

That sounds sooooo good! I must have that book for my vacation reading!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the review...I'll definitely put it on my TBR list!

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Hi there! I'm reading AwA at the moment and see Nathaniel as Angel and Julian as Spike too! That's so funny! I'm about halfway through at the moment and can't wait to see how everything works out!

See ya.

MJFredrick said...

It was such a fun book, one that sticks with you for days! Hope you enjoy it!

Y, have you met Lloyd yet? That's hilarious that we had the same reactions to the hero and villain.

Anonymous said...

I just love it when I enjoy a book that much :) Woo Hoo, Mary!!!

Rene said...

That sounds really unique and fun. I'll keep it in mind.

MJFredrick said...

Bonnie, I still have a smile on my face when I think about this book.

Rene, it was different, as was Bitten and Smitten, though it was a vampire story. Just a heck of a lot of fun.

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

I know Mary! The whole Angel and Spike thing made me think the same when I read it on your blog! Oh, and Lloyd's very cool. I love the concept of him! :)

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box