Interviewing Myself

I mentioned I got the Mary Engelbreit magazine the other day. Every month she interviews a creative person, either a writer, a designer, someone. Always the same questions. She calls it "Inspiration Quotient." So using those questions, I'm going to interview myself. Then you - like tagging, only I'm not naming names ;) (By the way, the June/July issue also has a write up on romance novels - not big enough for you to rush out to buy, but a nice treat. Considering Entertainment Weekly NEVER has romance novels!)

1. When the well runs dry, how do you recharge your creative spark?

working in the yard, watching certain movies (I like YaYa Sisterhood, I don't know why, makes me want to write), going to museums and just letting it fill me

2. What is your motto?

See top of page ;)

3. What fictional character is most like the person you wish you were?

Any of my heroines, which is why I write them, I guess. Is that too arrogant?

4. The biggest enemy of creativity is....

either time bandits or the internal editor

5. My best ideas come to me when I'm...

About to go to sleep!

6. What is your ideal work environment?

My back patio with my Alphasmart. All the plants have been watered and deadheaded so nothing will pull me out of my chair.

7. What accomplishments are you most proud of?

Today...my son and the kids in my class who came so far this past year. I'm also pretty proud of my contest finals.

8. No one is better than I am when it comes to...

Beating myself up.

9. I still can't quite get the hang of....

sleep. And discipline.

10. The only thing I know for sure about the creative process is...

it's HARD!

11. What was your first job?

I worked at Winn's, a five and dime, in the candy department. I asked to be transfered to the fabric department, where I spent all my paycheck on fabric that was 99 cents a yard. Then I'd go home and sew an outfit for the next day.

12. Earlier in your career, how did you deal with people who tried to discourage you from pursuing your dreams?

No one ever really has, thank goodness!

Okay, now you - let me know and I'll come read!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. When the well runs dry, how do you recharge your creative spark?

Go see a movie I like, or watch a good one again on video, listen to music, walk outdoors a while, take a nap (yes, a nap does work for me sometimes!)

2. What is your motto?

It's never too late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

3. What fictional character is most like the person you wish you were?

I'd like to be Selene from THREE OF SWORDS...in fact, I think I am a lot like her. One that I wish I were....hmm...I'd like to be someone heroic but human, loving but strong, flawed but endearing. When I figure out who character that is, I'll repost. :)

4. The biggest enemy of creativity is....

too much email, too many "little things I have to do right now", and my own procrastination.

5. My best ideas come to me when I'm...

About to go to sleep! (Ditto for me, Mar...I get right back up and make notes! Scott is used to this behavior now. LOL)

6. What is your ideal work environment?

Right where I am. My office in my home. Perfection.

7. What accomplishments are you most proud of?

My kids. Homeschooling. My present work in education. My novels published by Triskelion. Gaining the courage to become all that I am without exception---personally, spiritually, emotionally, mentally.

8. No one is better than I am when it comes to...

making tuna and chips casserole. :)

9. I still can't quite get the hang of....

any cooking beyond that level, but I keep trying. I do like to bake!

10. The only thing I know for sure about the creative process is...

even when you think it's dead, it seems to resurrect itself. What a blessing.

11. What was your first job?

I sold movie tickets and popcorn at a local theater.

12. Earlier in your career, how did you deal with people who tried to discourage you from pursuing your dreams?

I decided to ignore them. Good thing I did. :)

JoAnn

Anonymous said...

Mary, I think it's a good idea, and I loved your answers. The questions should be an inspiration for my next blog post.

MicheleKS said...

Mary, I think you've started a blog tag of sorts. I plan to do this on mine for tomorrow probably.

MJFredrick said...

Ooh, JoAnn, I love your answer to #10!

Can't wait to read everyone else's!

Marianne Arkins said...

Thanks for the idea, Mary! I'm posting this today.

Rachel Vincent said...

I'm coming across this late in the game, but I'm going to do it either today, or tomorrow.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box