Here's the thing....

I've worked in the same district my whole teaching career. This is my 17th year (I thought last year was my 17th year, but apparently I can't count.) I've been at three schools. My best friend Cindi has been at the same three schools, and now her husband joins us at this third school, so the THREE of us have been together at three schools. Weird.

My mother teaches in the district, has taught there her whole career, 28 years. She's been at three schools.

My sister in law is now in the curriculum department in the district. She's been there for....I don't know. More than ten years. SHE'S been at three schools. (One of them is my old school.)

There are only 10 elementary schools in the district. So, between all the moving around and the fraternizing I know teachers from every school in the district, which makes inservices fun. (Especially if they don't know that they know me.)

Monday I saw several teachers that I probably won't see again until Christmas, one a former student teacher (she also taught my ds in first grade). I had fun telling her the ds started high school Monday. Her baby started kindergarten! I saw a teacher who left elementary for high school and is having a ball. I saw people who asked me how my writing was coming (sigh - but nice they remembered.)

Went to lunch with my best friend and her dh (who took my place in 5th grade), my old unit and my new unit. It was such fun.

Yesterday I saw another buddy who started teaching with Cindi and me, but we left her behind at the last school, and she's in love, so we don't see her much ;) But it was so much fun catching up today, like no time has passed at all. Do you have friends like that? And the coach from the old school was with us, we always had fun even at the hellhole the old school was. Both of us transferred out last year (best decision EVER). She had a baby last winter and I hadn't seen her since, so it was fun to catch up.

Went to lunch with the same crew. We get along so well - one happy family. This is such a far cry from previous years. I'm looking FORWARD to work today!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so great, Mar! I guess that's one of the things I really love about my school, too---we are such a family together, and the admin does what they can to only increase that. Gotta love it.

I am dragging my tail after the last few days...I am doing in a week what the others have been doing all summer...but I am almost there. Ready to hit the ground running on Friday.

See you tonight! Save me a seat, please please! I get out of the afternoon meetings at 4:00, then rush home, change clothes, and make it to the SARA meeting by six. Whew.

JoAnn <---signed her contract yesterday...VERY happy with it. :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy yourself! It's wonderful when you have a great community of people to work with.

Jill Monroe said...

Oh, it's agony to go to work at a job you hate. So glad it's all working out now!

MicheleKS said...

Mary, glad to hear you're happy with your new school. Working in a job you like makes all the difference in the world.

And thanks for the Gerard Butler pictures. They're a nice sight to see.

Toni Anderson said...

I have lots of friends like that but unfortunately I keep moving country and leaving them all behind!!! :( Thank goodness for the internet!

Trish Milburn said...

Mary, I'm so glad to see your enthusiasm for work now instead of the former dread.

And that Gerry picture...looks like he's saying, "Mary, where have you been all day? I've missed you." :)

Silma said...

Since I was a part-time professor for so many years, I never got to fraternize with anyone. Gosh, I didn't even have my own office! *lol* I'd just move around, wherever I was needed. I liked that gypsy life... *sighs*

MJFredrick said...

The administration has a HUGE part in creating this feeling, lemme tell you. I just love our principal and VP. Though the VP can talk your arm off! It was good to see you tonight, JoAnn!

LOL on the picture, Trish! Yeah, you, Jill and Michele know how I suffered. I tell you, year before last, if I didn't have a ms in NY, I would be frantic. Now, even if I get a 3 book contract, I won't quit. I won't find this environment again.

Silma, I was music teacher before, so being part of a grade level is new, and probably part of the connection. You're right, it's hard to blend in if you're not there all the time.

Toni, I second your "THANK GOD FOR INTERNET!"

I'm home from my chapter meeting, which was unable to form a quorum - we were ONE person short. Sigh.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box