Love

Yesterday the teachers had a workday and we worked all morning....trying to find a way to see the inauguration. We'd hoped to stream it on our computers, but the flash players wouldn't download. We called technology, who told us to watch on Fox. Still didn't load. Finally one of the teachers remembered we have cable in our school, only no one could remember where the connections were, and they couldn't find a cord. I was ready to go to Target and buy a cord when the librarian discovered one. We all gathered in Robert's room to watch, about 30 teachers. THEN, just as Obama started speaking, one of the teachers buzzed over the intercom wondering who was going to go to lunch with her! I was peeved. Still am, actually.

Okay, I don't want to talk politics, but I just wondered if anyone else saw what I saw when the Obamas were together.


Photobucket

I know nothing about their marriage, but the look on Michelle's face when she watched her husband take the oath...such pride and love. I came home and saw the parade, and there was a playful moment between them when he leaned over to tell her something, she swatted him in the chest and he put his arm around her.

And then the balls...the first one where he said, "Doesn't my wife look beautiful?" Then they danced and while the world was watching, had a private moment, a connection.

Now, I may be fooled. They may be putting on a pretty show for me, but I don't think so. I think they have real love and real respect between them, an affection we haven't seen in the White House since the Reagans.

Again, I don't know anything about the other presidents' marriages. I do think George loves Laura, but she was always so quiet and in the background, kind of like she was wondering how she got into all this. I don't think the Clintons have love, or had. And I think George Sr. was scared of Barbara (just kidding-but she was still pretty formidable yesterday!) I just think the Obamas have a relationship that is mutual respect and admiration, and I hope they hold together through the scrutiny and strain of the next few years.

Is it weird that when I woke at 2, I thought, "Michelle's feet must be hurting?" Okay, so maybe I have a bit of a girl-crush.....

2 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I didn't see the dance, but the impression I've gotten of them, with the little bits and pieces I've seen, is of a true partnership full of love and affection. It's great to see a public couple who doesn't seem to be all about the public, you know what I mean? They're not putting on the face they think the people should see, they just are what they are.

And yeah, I don't think it could really be faked.

MJFredrick said...

It's so lovely to see, this true partnership, and I think it's just as important to have that role model.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box