A Little Help from my Friends

I have been blessed in the people who surround me. First, of course, my family, who love me, even my brothers though I was mean to them. When I finalled in the Golden Heart, the older of the two had a party for me. The younger loves to go to the library with me. My husband and son take me to the library, even carry the loads of books for me. My husband doesn’t cringe too much when I have to watch Tomb Raider II for inspiration, AGAIN. And when I get good writing news, he always takes me out to dinner.

Then I’m blessed in my friends at school. There is a knot of us who started at one school, but even though we’ve all split up, we meet every few months and catch up. And at my new school, my fifth grade unit was just incredible. Three of the four of us were new to the campus, two were brand new teachers. We formed the most wonderful bond, looking out for each other, helping each other out. And when my kids tanked the state tests, the other teachers held me up.

But I’ve been most blessed in the writing community. First I met the SARAs, and while in the years I’ve been a member, the chapter meetings have changed from the high-energy they once were, we’re still fortunate to have members who work for the forward movement of all the members. Whether or not members take advantage is up to them.

Then I met the ladies of AOL. When we changed from AOL to Roadrunner, I missed the writing boards on AOL most. I still keep in contact with some of the ladies, and we call ourselves the Hive Mind. I can whine and moan to the SARAs and they’ll pat me on the back. The Hive will smack me and tell me to “Snap out of it!” And Trish is the most amazing critiquer (though it hurts sometimes – it really hurts!). We set goals and hold each other accountable for them. We exchange chapters and recipes. Amazingly, I’ve only met five of the women face to face, and yet I wouldn’t hesitate to invite any of them down here for vacation.

The eHarlequin community, especially the sub care board was not something I thought I’d become involved in, thus my name, Elf Mary. I joined around Christmas time and figured I’d hang for awhile and leave. Well, uh-uh. I’m as invested in other people’s success now as in mine, after watching the submission/rejection, submission/revision, submission/sale process several times now. I’ve never met any of these women face to face, but you can bet when they sell, I’ll be screaming and toasting.

Lastly is the Wet Noodle Posse. No Golden Heart finalling class can be as fortunate as the class of 2003. After we got those magical calls, an email loop was formed. We had the bouncing-off-the-wall newbies and the thrilled veterans. We shared first chapters, pictures, dresses, as we prepared for New York. We shared travel plans and sight-seeing schedules. But along the way we started sharing other things, too. When Priscilla’s grandmother died, and when Anna’s grandmother got sick, and when Trish’s mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer, we closed around them. When Stef and Diane and Merrillee and Anna and Karen and Trish Mo and Janice and Janet and Dianna and Jill and Norah and Stephanie sold, we partied. When the 2004 and 2005 finalists were announced, we cheered for those who finalled and offered condolences to those who didn’t. We vibe for sales and agents and houses. We’re about writing but so much more. This is the main reason I’m sad about not going to Reno this year.


So I’m blessed in so many ways. I wish this kind of support for every writer.

And because I can: Image hosted by Photobucket.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sure is wonderful having so many people offering support. Some of my best friends are those in the writing community, and I love cheering them on. :)

Anonymous said...

What Michelle said. :) Also, nice pic!

MJFredrick said...

Is it a woman thing, do you think? I can't think that it is, because I've seen women be catty. Maybe it's an, "I know what you've been through, pal, and you deserve this" thing.

Jill, isn't he just lovely? See why I watch Tomb Raider 2 over and over again?

Anonymous said...

Gerard Butler IS a great reason to watch Tomb Raider 2 }:) It certainly is fantastic to cheer on other writer's successes.


Bonnie

Trish Milburn said...

You know, I think I've figured out why you learned to put pictures in your blog. All Gerard, all the time. :) I need to go try to put a hunkie in my blog. Maybe I'll get more traffic!

MJFredrick said...

Busted! I may throw in a picture of Sawyer tomorrow to break up the monotony ;)

Trish Milburn said...

Oh, Sawyer, nice!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box