Movies

Apparently, I see an abnormal amount of movies. Yesterday we saw Batman Begins. Wednesday, I’m going with JoAnn to see The Perfect Man. Friday, I’m probably going to see Bewitched. Last week I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and on DVD, I saw Hitch. And this was in a summer that I didn’t think any good movies were coming out.

I didn’t realize my volume was unusual till we were at my folks’ for Father’s Day and I was talking about movies we’ve seen and movies we’re looking forward to and everyone just looked at us blankly. The only one who had any idea what we were talking about was my 16 year old brother. My 35 year old brother and sister-in-law saw Revenge of the Sith, and that was it.

So, let me give you a quick rundown of movies I’ve seen this year (at the theaters – DVDs would take WAY too long) and my opinion. Because I know you all put so much stock in that ;)

Dear Frankie: an independent Scottish film starring Gerard Butler, for about 45 minutes, anyway. It’s about a deaf boy and his mother who are on the run from his abusive father, only the boy doesn’t know. He believes his father is a sailor, and so he writes him letters. When his father’s ship is scheduled to dock, his mother has to find someone to act as his father. The black moment ripped my heart out the first time I saw it. And Gerry was lovely. I’ve already ordered the DVD.

Sahara: the Matthew McConnaughey comeback vehicle, from a Clive Cussler novel. I know I will get flak for this, but Matt came across as slimy in this. He was not my vision of Dirk Pitt. It was okay, lots of action, great in the way of escape but not much in the way of twists.

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: I listened to the BBC radio show, which was hilarious. The movie skimmed over so much, and didn’t translate well to the screen. Plus the two headed guy was creepy.

Revenge of the Sith: Plot holes big enough to drive my Land Cruiser through. I fidgeted through most of the beginning, most of the light saber scenes (and there were a LOT) and finally enjoyed the last 45 minutes or so. I did laugh aloud at an inappropriate scene, earning me dirty looks from the Star Wars fans. Hey, I WAS a Star Wars fan till these last three films. Why did you ruin the magic, George? Why?

Mr. and Mrs. Smith: Now THAT’S what I’m talking about. Great dialogue, fun characters, lots of action that isn’t same-old, same-old. And Angelina is just – cool. I will buy this when it comes out on DVD.

Batman Begins: I didn’t want to see this movie. I love Michael Keaton as Batman, and in my opinion, Tim Burton told the story just fine. Imagine my surprise, after grumbling about going to see it, that it might actually be my favorite movie of the year. It was compelling and absorbing and interesting. I did not think Christian Bale was as good as M.K., but he did do the soft creepy voice very well. I will buy this when it comes out on DVD, too.

Movies I’m looking forward to:
The Perfect Man
Bewitched
The Fantastic Four
War of the Worlds
Must Love Dogs (new John Cusack movie)
Into the Blue (I know, but the previews had some similarities to the ms I just sent in)
The Game of their Lives (another Gerard Butler movie)
Harry Potter
King Kong
The Legend of Zorro
The New World (this is Diana Duncan’s fault)
The Chronicles of Narnia

DVDs I’m looking forward to:
Miss Congeniality 2
Coach Carter
Hostage
Constantine
The Pacifier
XXX: State of the Union (I’m into action movies lately)
Alexander
Guess Who
Bride and Prejudice
Beauty Shop
The Wedding Date
Because of the Winn Dixie
Sin City
A Lot Like Love

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehehe,
that IS a lot of movies, Mary. But why not? The Batman movie seems to be surprising many people...in a good way.

Bonnie

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Thanks for the heads up about Batman. I can't wait. I love Christian Bale. Had mixed emotions about Star Wars III. Hated Hayden Christiansen. Loved the fight scenes, particularly Yoda's fight scene.

Jill Monroe said...

Mary - you're so much cooler than I am. I can't remember seeing a movie that I didn't rent.

May have to check out Batman! Still not seen Star Wars

MJFredrick said...

Jill, I went through that phase, too. For awhile we weren't even renting movies. I'm making up for lost time. If there's one movie you must see, though, I'm thinking you'd like Mr. and Mrs. Smith best.

Elizabeth, the fight scenes in Star Wars were good, but there were just so many of them. I heard people say if you had to go to the bathroom, go during a lightsaber battle, because they were just so long.

Bonnie, you think that's a lot - I never got to see Kingdom of Heaven or Madagascar.

Trish Milburn said...

Impressive list, Mary. I want to see many of the same ones plus Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I've read the first two books and enjoyed them. I haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven either. Will rent it when it comes to DVD. And I'm really looking forward to The New World (how is this Diana's fault?). You know I love movies with Native American themes and characters.

MJFredrick said...

Trish, Diana Duncan wrote about a SWAT officer in Midnight Hero. It may be a faulty memory, but I believe she said she based her hero on Colin Farrell. So that made me watch SWAT again. So I now have a teeny Colin Farrell crush.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see that many flicks, Mar! I think it's great! Looking forward to Wednesday.

JoAnn

MJFredrick said...

Me, too, JoAnn!

MJFredrick said...

Jessie, we don't like crowds either, so we usually go to the first show on Sunday morning.

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you love seeing movies, go for it! I completely envy you. The last movie I saw in a theater was Spiderman 2. Sigh.

MJFredrick said...

Michelle, I really did used to be like that. It had to be a really special movie for us to go see it. But this is one activity my 13 year old will do with us, so it's our new thing. I did figure out that between Sunday breakfast and movies, we spend about $60 every Sunday. OUCH.

Amie Stuart said...

OHHHHH BEWITCHED! I So wanna see that! You've seen more than me but honestly, it costs so darn much to go w/the boys and I'm too lazy to go alone. Serious ly wanna see Mr. and Mrs. yeah! and Traveling Pants. Oooooooo I knwo the boys wont go see that!

Watched Hitch last night. Loved Will Smith, don't much care for rom-coms =\

MJFredrick said...

Cece, Hitch is the only rom/com I've seen lately that gets it right. That and Two Weeks Notice. You MUST SEE Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I was telling my brother about it yesterday (the 35 year old, not the 16 year old) and I swear he was drooling just thinking about Angelina.

She IS sexy.

Amie Stuart said...

Angelina IS HOT!! LOL

You're right, Hitch does get it right, but, as much as I don't think I'll ever be an action/adventure/suspense writer, I LURVE action/adventure/suspense movies.

MJFredrick said...

Cece, we see eye to eye on so many things ;)

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box