Through Someone Else's Eyes

Last night I took my 16 year old brother to my chapter meeting. Yes, I know it sounds weird, but he wants to write historical fiction set in Roman times, and Julie Kenner was giving a talk on using Robert McKee’s STORY and screenwriting techniques in novels, so I thought it would be interesting to him, since it wasn’t romance focused.

Evelyn Rogers, the person whose picture you see when you look up “lady” in the dictionary, is a founding member of SARA and she is retiring from romance writing, so last night the chapter toasted her. So a lot of people who don’t usually come to meetings were there last night: Martha Hix, JoAnn Power, Pam Morsi, Miriam Minger. These ladies were some of the people I met at my first SARA meeting. The energy last night was on level with the energy I felt at my first SARA meeting. And I wondered if it really was as I perceived it, or if I was just seeing it differently through Mike’s eyes.

I remember at my first meeting, hearing about Debbie Gafford and Delores Fossen talk about the gains they were making as they sought publication. I remember that Martha’s Terrific Tom had just sold to SSE, I think, and how excited she was because the heroine was a big girl. At last night’s meeting, Michael heard about an author who sent out 5 queries and got 3 requests, as well as revision requests on another book, and another author whose book may be going to auction. It’s very heady when you’re new and you hear these success stories, and see that they happen to real people.

Mike took copious notes during Julie’s talk, and got a kick out of the chart she had of the three act structure. I fear he’s a plotter, not a pantser. Sigh. He left the meeting fired up, and just so excited, because there was a room full of people who GOT him (and someone did say he was so cute, he liked that). I felt the same way after my first SARA meeting. It was almost overwhelming.

My dh gets after me, because I’ve been reluctant to go to meetings sometimes. I’m too tired, I don’t want to drive in all that traffic, I don’t want to miss LOST. But nearly every time, I come home excited and energized, renewed and motivated. If only I could bottle this feeling today and save it till the hour or so before the NEXT meeting. Or if I could just remember how I saw it the first time, and think about creating that same atmosphere for another beginning writer.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, Mary! It's great that you could share that with him :)

And another lovely picture of Gerard Butler. Can we ever have enough? Hehehehe we kNOw the answer to that one }:)

Bonnie

MJFredrick said...

Bonnie, Mike was so excited when I suggested he go with me. He said he'd heard about these meetings for as long as he could remember and he'd finally get to go. He wasn't even too self conscious about being the only visitor. (He wasn't the only male, however.)

Anonymous said...

Mar, Michael is adorable. The fact that he's dating one my students (is this a small world or WHAT?) just makes him moreso (and it gives me something to tease him about). I had fun sitting with you both last night, watching him make all his notes and get into it. You're right, he has all the signs of being a plotter. Sigh. We will just have to bear it. Heehee... I'm so glad you brought him. He's a sweetie, and you can tell him I said that.

JoAnn

MJFredrick said...

LOL, I'll tell him, JoAnn!

Trish Milburn said...

What a cool story about taking your brother to the meeting. I hope his writing goes well.

MJFredrick said...

Thanks, Trish. My mom says the two of us are so much alike, it's not funny. Weird, with 23 years between us.

MJFredrick said...

Thanks, Jessie! Mike and I always have had a bond, from the time he was a baby. It is fun to finally have someone in the family who gets ME!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box