Best Movies of 2009 and the Decade and How Should I Spend my Christmas Money?



I saw Terminator Salvation last night and loved it. When it was over, I asked the dh whose story it was. He said he didn't think it was one character's story, but clearly Marcus had a bigger story arc than John Connor. I fully expected it to be John's story, but this secondary character swept him off the stage. Let that be a lesson to writers everywhere--don't make your secondary character's story more interesting than your hero's!

Top Ten Movies of the Decade

10) Gladiator

9) Bourne Identity

8) Monsters Inc.

7) O Brother Where Art Thou

6) Enchanted

5) Dark Knight

4) Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

3) Harry Potters (except the last one)

2) Wall-E

1) Lord of the Rings

Favorite Movies of 2009

10) Australia

9) Secret Life of Bees

8) Terminator Salvation

7) Ten Inch Hero

6) Penelope

5) Star Trek

4) The Wrestler

3) Avatar

2) The Departed

1) Gran Torino

What's weird for me is that not all of those are happy movies, and like my shirt says, I Love Happy Endings. But several of those had me thinking for days, and to me, that's a good movie.

I'm still playing around with how to spend my Christmas money. Apparently I'm in a jewelry mood. We stopped at the liquor store by our house and they had this for $20. I think it's way cool:

Photobucket

Then Angela James sent a link to this jewelry, which is SO cool, but $8 shipping

and they don't have the bracelet I want in stock.

Photobucket

And I want charms for my charm bracelet. For my road trip story, I want a car.

They drive a 1970 Chevelle, but the closest I can find in looks is this:

Photobucket

Or I can change it to a Dodge Charger like Michael Westin in Burn Notice.

Photobucket

And I wanted a Texas capitol building for my bodyguard story, but I may just get this:

Photobucket


Stay tuned, getting ready to announce my Countdown to Breaking Daylight contest!

Photobucket


4 comments:

MicheleKS said...

I am in complete agreement with you on Terminator: Salvation. And this has happened to poor Christian Bale in 'The Dark Knight' and '3:10 to Yuma'. But in each case, it's a fail on the part of the writers.

Marianne Arkins said...

I haven't seen ANY of your best of 2009 movies! YIKES...

I have, however, seen 8 of the 10 best of the decade movies you listed. That makes me feel a *little* better.

I LOVE the idea of your charm bracelet. I want to do something like that!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I don't see it as a fail at all. The first three movies were all about John Connor. We didn't need to focus solely on his story--that would have been boring. I think they deliberately made it Marcus's story as a commentary on what constitutes humanity. And I LOVED young Kyle Reese. For me, it's always been about the Reeses. LOL

MJFredrick said...

Interesting point about it always happening to Christian Bale, Michele. Is he too much of an Everyman actor?

Marianne, I have some offbeat ones there on the 2009 list. Some of them are less uplifting than others. I HIGHLY recommend Penelope to you and DD.

LOL, Natalie. I guess after the other Terminators, I wondered what the future was like and would have liked more of John Connor's story. Loved Marcus's, though.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box