Real Life Isn't a Romance Novel

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures


We use it as a trope, a source of conflict for our heroes usually. I've used it twice--a young wife dying suddenly, once in my historical and once in STTA. I read a book with the conflict this week, and it was the basis of the conflict in Mrs. Miracle, the Christmas movie I watched this week.

The thing is, in those books, the event has some distance. Time has passed, the hero is thinking of moving forward, or not, until he meets the heroine.

We don't see, but can imagine those first days, those first weeks, the struggle to find a balance. We don't see the bone-deep grief and terror and loneliness, the blurring days.

Right now I feel guilty for ever using this device, because my brother's best friend is dealing with all this right now. His 43-year-old wife died suddenly, leaving him and his three-year-old son alone. Worse, he was in California and she was in Texas when it happened. He has to be strong for his son, for his family, and he's so intensely private, I don't know how he's going to accept help. It breaks my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs Mary. That is so sad.

MJFredrick said...

It is the saddest thing. The funeral was awful. I think the only thing is for him to power through it. Poor Steve.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box