Cameron Crowe movies

I was going to blog about Cameron Crowe movies until I realized I’ve only seen four. But all but one have made an impression, so maybe I’ll go ahead.

His first movie was Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Most people remember Spiccoli, much to Sean Penn’s regret. I remember Judge Reinhold’s character, Brad. Kind of a sad sack, responsible (remember the pirate hat?), the kind of guy you’d turn to if you needed help, like his sister did. I remember being stunned by the abortion subject matter, and crying for his sister and her broken heart. On the edges of my memory are the checkered Vans and the pizza being delivered to the classroom, but what stayed with me was the captured teen-aged angst. It was also a soundtrack movie, which is another defining feature of a Cameron Crowe movie.

I didn’t see The Wild Life, Cameron’s second movie. I may have, but forgot it. And, believe it or not, I STILL haven’t seen Say Anything, the John Cusack movie with the Peter Gabriel song, “In Your Eyes.”

But Singles...oh, I love that movie. I love Campbell Scott, the regular guy who falls in love with Kyra Sedgwick. Yeah, there was Bridget Fonda and Matt Dillon (with long hair, OMG) but I loved the story of Steve and Linda. They were so happy, then tragedy, but then...Cameron Crowe writes happy endings. And that soundtrack – I think we’re on our third copy.

I saw Jerry Maguire, but mostly didn’t like it. I’ve never been a Tom Cruise fan, way before Katie. I will admit...happy ending.

I kinda saw Almost Famous when it was on TV once. Another soundtrack movie. I will be adding it to the queue, though.

Didn’t see Vanilla Sky, but may I say – I never expected to see CC’s name attached to THAT one.

But last night I saw Elizabethtown. Now, it is a story about a guy, and there’s a romance, so it’s talky. There’s a scene where there’s nothing BUT talk. I don’t like Kirsten Dunst, but I loved this movie. I loved this movie. Let me say it one more time – I loved this movie. How cute was Orlando Bloom? The boy has one devastation on top of another, but learns so much about himself. And the last thirty minutes – I was smiling AND crying. It was wonderful. Happy ending AND a great soundtrack. Watch it, and tell me what you think.

Image hosting by Photobucket

11 comments:

Tracy Montoya said...

You know, I've never seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I had no idea it was a CC film--duh. Say Anything is wonderful. My college girlfriends and I used to watch it and drink every time John Cusack did something sensitive--we'd decided his character was a myth. Almost Famous is AWESOME.

I'm glad you liked Elizabethtown. I LOATHE Kirsten Dunst, but I like CC. Now I'm not so afraid to add it to my NetFlix list.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I don't like Kirsten Dunst either, but the movie transcended her annoyingness. I admit to ADORING Orlando Bloom, but I find him to be a very subtle actor and I wish the critics would get that and stop calling him wooden. He says an awful damned lot in one flicker of his cheek.

Shesawriter said...

I saw Vanilla Sky. Hated it. Too weird for me. Also, Penelope C's face annoys me.

Fast Times is a classic. I have it on DVD.

Almost Famous -- I plan on renting that one. I'm a diehard Billy Crudup fan.

Tanya

Trish Milburn said...

I'll have to rent Elizabethtown soon. You know I've been to E-town several times, being as it was a good halfway point between where I went to high school and Louisville or Lexington and it was a good stop for a meal or bathroom break.

Wow, so many people don't like Kirsten Dunst. I don't mind her. I guess most of you won't be seeing her turn as Marie Antoinette, huh?

I really liked Say Anything, and that scene with the jambox playing Peter Gabriel -- ahh.

MJFredrick said...

Tracy, we have such similar taste (though I have nothing against Miss Alba ;) ). KD was not too annoying, and I almost didn't notice her teeth.

Natalie, I remember you saying how much you liked this movie, and that was why I was so anxious to see it. Orli was adorable. Can you believe I forgot he was in Troy?

Tanya, I moved Almost Famous up in my queue. The boy says his friends say he looks like Billy Crudup.

Stacy and Trish, let me know how you like E-Town. Trish, I MAY see Marie Antoinette just because of the subject matter, but I will be gritting my teeth.

Gina Black said...

I *love* SAY ANYTHING and also ALMOST FAMOUS. They are fantastic... I also liked JERRY MAGUIRE, but not as much. Haven't seen ELIZABETHTOWN. The DD saw it and really didn't like it. I'm trying to remember what she said...she felt he went to musical montages too often instead of content and it wasn't Dunst she didn't like but the character. I'm going to have to see it for myself now.

April said...

I haven't seen Elizabethtown yet. I love Orlando, not too find of Kirsten though. Maybe that's why I haven't been too eager. I just may have to go out and pick it up!

I saw Vanilla Sky... It wasn't really my thing.

Loved Almost Famous and Fast Times at Ridgemont High almost seems like a rite of passage.

MJFredrick said...

Gina, the very thing I liked about the movie may have been what your daughter didn't like!

I gotta wonder - did ANYONE like Vanilla Sky?

Jill Monroe said...

I HATED Vanilla Sky. While the dh and I were watching it he'd say, we can turn this off. But once I start a movie, I never quit it.

And why do people find Kirsten Dunst so annoying?

I will have to check out Elizabethtown!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I liked Vanilla Sky!

Kirsten Dunst's mannerisms bug me, I think. Maybe her voice. It's just one of those things. Renee Zellweger is the other one I can't stand, for similar reasons. Maybe it's attitude. Kirsten is "look how perky I am!" and Renee is all smugness.

Mary, I'm flattered that you valued my opinion that much! And yes, I find it amazing that anyone can forgt that Orli was in Troy. LOL

MJFredrick said...

I very rarely turn a movie off, though sometimes I'll walk away.

Kirsten Dunst bugs me because....you know, I can't put my finger on it. Smug smile, maybe? I dunno.

Hmm, if NATALIE liked Vanilla Sky....maybe there's redemption there. We have a lot of the same taste.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box