How Do Bookstores Make You Feel?

We didn't have big bookstores here until about 10 years ago, just the ones in the mall. Now we have two Borders and a Barnes and Nobles within 15 minutes of our house. I don't go there often, because I buy most of my books online. But when I do go, I have mixed feelings, being a writer.

Some days I go in and get energized, thinking, "When my book comes out, it will be on this table, and right here on the shelf, and I'll come sign it and sticker it, and my friends from other places in the country will see it, and squeal, and telll the people around them that they know the author." I come home raring to write, to get my book out the door and one step closer to that place on the shelf.

Other days, I get completely overwhelmed by all the books out there. How can I possibly compete with all these authors and sell my book to a publishing house, much less to a customer? (Yeah, thanks, Trish, I hadn't thought how my book would stand out till YOU mentioned it ;) ) Instead of going home fired up to write, I try to figure out how many authors work for each house and where my odds of selling are the greatest. Sad really.

So how do bookstores make you feel?


We lost electricity for about an hour last night, so I'm running late, and I have two meetings today and one tomorrow. Bleh.

Image hosting by Photobucket

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Bookstores energize me. I figure, if they can do it, so can I, and that shelves will always need filling. Comparing myself with others is defeatist... I have to do my best and wherever I land, that's where I'm meant to be : )

And you will stick out from the others. No one has your voice or your unique insights. Write on, Mary!!

Steph

Trish Milburn said...

Yep, it's all my fault. :) Mostly, I love bookstores, just being in the middle of all those books. And like Steph said, if they can do it, so can you. I know I'll see your books on shelves, I know it.

Anonymous said...

I love bookstores. It's great to spend time in them, maybe sit down for a snack and beverage and, of course, leave with a book purchase or two :)

Colleen Gleason said...

I love bookstores partly because I love books (too much, my husband says!) and partly because I love to see what's new.

What's the hot trend in covers. Who's publishing what. Who has great covers. How they align on the shelves. Which ones look the same. How the publishers brand the author.

It is overwhelming, though, to look at all those books and know that your book has to stand on its own among the Noras and the SEPs and the Kenyons, etc. etc. There are so many books!

Still, I love bookstores. I can and do spend hours there. Sometimes I walk out with a bunch in hand, sometimes none.

And by the way, Borders is doing buy 4 get a 5th free on romance this week. (I stocked up today!)

Shesawriter said...

Gosh, it's been so long since I've been in one, I don't know. I order everything from Amazon. (g)

Tanya

April said...

I'm with Bosie... I get energized by bookstores. There ARE so many books... Which means I have a chance. If only one or two were there, then my guess is that I wouldn't have a chance!

Anonymous said...

I love bookstores. And I just think to myself--my book will be right there on the shelf! :)

MJFredrick said...

LOL, good point about having a better chance of being published if there are so many books! And Bosey, you're right about not comparing myself to others. (And will I ever stop calling you Bosey???)

Trish, you gave me a whole different perspective Saturday. It was fun shopping with you. I'm surprised at our restraint.

Colleen, stocking up is NOT something I need to do, though Trish thought my TBR was wimpy ;)

Bonnie, I never sit down in bookstores - sad, huh? I'm always with someone.

You know, I was just thinking, one of the last trips I took with my grandmother was to a bookstore. I loved showing her all the people I know.

I look forward to seeing y'all's books on the shelf!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box