Character Voice

When I started Don’t Look Back, one of my critique partners got really excited. She said we just had to make sure that my hero and heroine had different voices and the book would be golden. She went on to explain that men think differently than women, that even his internal thoughts and observations needed to sound different from the heroine’s. I knew this, but this was the first time I consciously went into a story thinking about this.

I don’t see it in the book I’m listening to, but maybe it’s listening to a book instead of reading it that makes things pop. The characters all sound the same, and it’s not because there are only two readers. They all use the same kind of language, like, “Yeah, okay, so…” and “Something something much?” Buffy speak, in other words. I have to consciously think about whose POV we’re in. One character’s speech and thoughts are a little more Buffy-esque, but the hero has a lot of those thoughts, too, which is kind of surprising. I mean, he’s this really intelligent older guy, right?

I was reading another book recently where the hero was “delighted” and “thrilled” by the heroine. He was a big, bad spy. I can’t imagine my husband, who’s pretty Beta, using those words, much less an alpha male.

Do you notice these things as you read, or is it just my recent awareness that makes them stand out for me?

Image hosting by Photobucket

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose I only notice it if it's out of place.

Gina Black said...

I notice it and it keeps me from enjoying the characters.

Shesawriter said...

My character voices don't really come on strong until after the first draft. By then I know them and can go back and fine tune.

When all the characters sound the same in books I buy, it throws me off.

Tanya

Toni Anderson said...

I totally notice this, but I think sometimes it is easier to edit the guy's voice later (I mean you're in his head, but second draft is where you can really turn him into a bloke).

This is a problem I have because I usually have Brit and American H/h so I have voice nationality differences to deal with too. Ugh. All good fun!

Silma said...

You mean if I've noticed men are talking more like women? Oh yeah... *lol* I read a novel in which the hero talked with words like "delighted" and could make colors like "periwinkle blue". I thought he was gay until I realized he was the hero. Sorry, none of the guys I know talk about like this hero did.

MJFredrick said...

Amen, Silma! LOL on periwinkle blue!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box