Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

cat
more cat pictures

I love this saying. I have a better picture of it at school, though, a kitty tangled in mini-blinds.

There is a plot device that always bothers me - lost time. When I read Dragonfly in Amber, I was so upset that so much time had passed before Clair and Jamie were reunited....all that time lost. It made sense, with all Jamie had to endure in the meantime, but still....

The same thing happened in the first romance I read, Dark of the Moon by Karen Robards. The amount of time wasn't as long, but I was just sad for the characters.

Same in movies. ConAir - he'd just come home, was reunited with his wife one night, then separated from her for 7 years. Even Sex and the City, the separations felt too long.

Lost time is something that can never be recovered, and especially in ConAir and the Outlander books, the fathers missed the growth of their child. That's something that can never be made up, and it breaks my heart.

What plot device bothers you?

Photobucket

3 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I won't read books like that, unless the lost time happens before the beginning of the book. I'm not interested AT ALL in reading about a H/H who are separated through most of the story.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

It's interesting, I thought it bothered you as a device. But you're not saying it bugs you as a writing thing, but the events in the story make you unhappy for the characters. It's like the difference between observing the water and being in the water.

I'm not sure that made any sense at all.

MJFredrick said...

I guess I called it a device for lack of better term....but it is a device the author uses to manipulate emotion, yes?

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box