Obsession - I know it well

Obsession – I know it well. I get an idea in my head and nothing will do till I see it to fruition. This is apparently an inherited trait. My mother and little brother are much the same way.

For example, this week I HAD TO HAVE Pride and Prejudice AND Walk the Line ON TUESDAY. Never mind that I have blockbuster.com and they’re at the top of the queue. Never mind that I hadn’t bothered to see them in the theaters. I’d just gotten three movies Monday and I knew even if I sent them back Tuesday I wouldn’t get these movies till the weekend. I had to leave campus at my planning time on Tuesday to get my blood taken, and the whole way I was thinking, well, if they hurry, I’ll have enough time to run by Blockbuster and….

They didn’t hurry. So as soon as the last child was gone, I blazed out of the parking lot and headed to Blockbuster. Got my movies. Watched my movies. (More on that later this week.)

Last week I saw Grey’s Anatomy for the first time. I was instantly hooked. By the weekend, I was looking forward to Sunday night so much that I ordered the first season on DVD. Never mind that I have blockbuster.com (oh, I just said that, didn’t I?) and that I rarely buy series I haven’t seen (only Buffy, Angel, Lost, Firefly, Law and Order and Sex and the City.) I bought the first season because I was obsessed (and if anyone wants to tell me why, I’d be glad to know why I’m hooked after one show!)

And of course my obsession with GB is apparent, and I do own all the DVDs that he’s in for more than 15 minutes. My buddy Diane has it worse. She even has a GB WATCH (and where did she get it, I must know??)

But sometimes obsession is more than NEEDING that yarn and having to go to the store RIGHT NOW or being hungry for cheesecake and, well, going to the store RIGHT NOW.

Right now I’m obsessed with the Golden Heart. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it at this point, and I do not have the power to make time go faster, and yet, here we are.

And I woke up early this morning because I’m so obsessed about getting observed today that I dreamed about it. When I woke up I thought I had all these supplies for a different art project, but alas, no.

Why can’t I just get obsessed about writing and be done with it?

Image hosting by Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, now I was doing just fine waiting on my GH results. I wasn't thinking about it at all. Now you've got me thinking! Argh.

We both have other books we need to write. Okay, deep breath? In and out. Now go write another book. Stop obsessing. :)

Anonymous said...

I . . . um . . . have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, Mary ;)

Here's hoping you and Michelle hear good news where the GH is concerned :)

Stephanie said...

Mary, obsession is what makes us writers. Without the creative outlet, we'd just be crazy people walking around with voices in our heads! So it's natural to obsess about other things, too. It's who we are : ) Embrace the craziness!

Seriously, fingers crossed for you on the GH!!!!

Bosey

Trish Milburn said...

I SO know what you're talking about. I've been obsessed about various things over the years -- actors, shows, books, all kinds of pop culture type stuff.

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

I know what you're talking about. I watched one episode of Grey's Anatomy, and now I can't miss an episode. I was so upset I was almost prostrate when I missed the end of the episode after the Superbowl. I too own the DVD of the first season and watched in a weekend. Let's not even discuss my lost Regency weekend.

Anonymous said...

I like that. Embrace the craziness. :) Talk about saying it all.

I have a proposal out to my pub right now, and am awaiting word on it. And I gotta tell you, my sisters, a lot is riding on what happens. Because...depending on what comes, I may take a sabbatical from the craziness for an unspecified amount of time.

Mar, it's okay to be obsessed in wanting things. The bad kind of obsession is thinking that something terrible will happen if you DON'T do it. You don't have that kind. You are just tired of waiting for what you want, and you're going to get it now! I figured out how to do that when I turned 40. I loved my 40's. I really got my head together in this past decade. Makes the 50's looming on the horizon look really fun. :)

J

MJFredrick said...

Sorry, Michelle!

Thanks, Bonnie! Did you not enter?

Thanks, Bosey, and you're right! Although my mom is obsessive and not a writer. Just a bit nuts, I think ;)

Elizabeth, what is it about that show???? I am seriously hooked - real anticipation, kind of like a crush. Weird. But, ahem, lost Regency weekend??

LOL, Stacy!

J, I'm embracing the craziness!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box