Carved in Stone

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I don't know where I first heard about Carved in Stone, but the idea of a gargoyle book took hold in my mind and I HAD TO HAVE IT. As soon as it came, I dug in. Vickie Taylor built a wonderful world, explaining how gargoyles came to be, building in a terrific conflict (beyond the whole, "you're a girl, I'm a gargoyle, this can never work.")

Now, I'm not a big paranormal fan. Shapeshifters kind of creep me out. (Other than Damien. *sigh*) But I do like gargoyles. Anyone remember that awful movie from the 70s about the archaeologist dad and daughter who find gargoyle skeletons in the southwest? LOVVVVED that movie. Anyway, I kinda would've liked the gargoyles to be the villains and not the heroes, BUT these gargoyles were really cool. They had a close knit community, though divided at the opening of the book. The Big Bad is set up for subsequent books, which I will be buying.

I will say, I liked the gargoyle aspect more than the romance aspect. It was sexy, yes (a little too sexy for me) and Nathan was a great hero, and the conflict between them was certainly strong. I think it was the heroine who kind of left me cold. Or maybe it was the strong sexuality.

Still, I really liked the story. In fact, I was using it as an example with my class of how to do a book report, and they asked me to let them read it when I was done! All I had to say to discourage them was that it was 318 pages.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 comments:

Toni Anderson said...

ugh. Sometimes my computer gets stuck on a post in your blog--and so I think "Where'e Mary?" Anyway I was stuck on the 12th Jan! Now I'm reminded it is the 15th and I must send out the Kiss of Death COFFIN annoucements!!

Gargoyles? Hmm... interesting premise. Must take a peek.

I love that notebook BTW!!

Anonymous said...

Love that pic of Gerry, Mar...and I'm glad you don't include Damien in your aversion to shapeshifters! He's so yummy. I started work on the book again (at last!) on Thursday, after spending two days catching up and getting back into the flow (remind me to not take such a long time off from a wip in the future...it was tough at first!). I am in love with Damien all over again. Whatta guy. I'm glad you're finding some great reading! I'm reading A Harvest of Bones by Yasmine Galenorn and A Vision of Murder by Victoria Laurie right now. Up next, My Favorite Witch by Annette Blair and The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up by Joanna Carl.

J

MJFredrick said...

JoAnn, October 27th. That was my last taste of Damien.
I love this pic of Gerry, too.

Toni, I didn't know you were the one who does the KOD announcements! Cool!

Off to buy a new washer.....mine has had a hole in the tub (who knew?) and the water is leaking out and rusted the innards. Sigh. Bad thing - no truck, and so we have to do delivery, which means no washer till next Saturday. Good thing I bought extra underwear yesterday!

Shesawriter said...

Mary,

You've just sold me on the book. I'm getting it! It's sounds really different and interesting.

Tanya

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box