Mortality Lesson

When that 7 Things Meme was going around, it asked 7 things you'd do before you die. I answered with my expiration date far in the future, but my mortality was brought home to me this weekend.

This weekend the Wet Noodle Posse lost one of our members. Maryanne Cappelletti was a finalist in the 2003 short contemporary category of the Golden Heart. She was a young mother, a wonderful writer with a big-name agent and interest from Brenda Chin, and so full of life and energy. Her disease, scleraderma, started taking its toll the summer of 2003, and her involvement with the Wet Noodle Posse, once so active, fell off as she fought for her health. She lost the battle this weekend.

On top of being heartbroken for her family and all who knew her, I have to face one of my worst fears – dying before I’m done.

Done with what, you ask? Well, done with anything I’ve started. Done loving my husband, done raising my son, done paying for the house, done writing the ideas I have (if I made that bargain with God, to let me live till I had written all my ideas, I’d be in the Guinness Book of Records), heck, done reading the book I’m reading.

I’ve played the game, you know, thinking about being given a limited time to live, what would I do. Isaac Asimov said he’d write faster. I think that would be me, too. I’d stop sleeping so much ;) I’d sit in my backyard more. If I had the resources, I’d travel.

And I’d berate myself for letting so much time pass before I waited to do these things.

So in addition to mourning Maryanne, I’m going to learn from her. I’m not going to have any regrets when my time comes.

I don't think Maryanne would mind me posting a picture of Gerry.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Life is precious and we should treat it as such by not wasting any of it. Hugs to you and your friends family!

Anonymous said...

(((Mary)))

My condolences go out to her family and all who knew her :(

Stephanie said...

How very, very sad. But how better to respect her memory than your living your life to the fullest? You've got the right attitude, Mary, and hugs to you for you loss...

Toni Anderson said...

I'm so sorry Mary. That is just heartbreaking. Her poor family.

I don't think you ever finish everything you want to, but maybe some things we do can give us satisfaction--like seeing our babies grow, like finishing those stories and loving our husbands.

I hope you get everything Mary.

Dana Pollard said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. It's hard losing someone you care about.

If I were given a short timeline to live, I'd toss everything into the wind and spend it with my children. Nothing else matters.

Besides, I know where I'm going when I die, so I'll just be waiting in Heaven for the ones I love.

Dana Pollard said...

Also...

Fear is the absence of faith...

Shesawriter said...

{{{Mary}}}

I didn't know her, but I empathize with your loss. I think we all need to seize the day. There are many things I'd like to do and see before I go, but when my Master calls, it's time. As Dana said, I too know where I'm headed, so I don't fear living forever with the Lord. The problem? Well, I just know me. I'll be up there obsessing and worrying about my loved ones down here. :-)

Tanya

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Mar. Hugs to you, dearest.

Live to the fullest. That's why we're here.

J

April said...

((Mary)) It's never easy to loose someone. My prayers are with her family and friends.

What a beautiful tribute to her that you've taken something positive away from this. That thanks to her experience you'll attempt to live a fuller life!

April

MJFredrick said...

Thanks for all the hugs and good wishes. Stacy, you're right about it being a cruelty of life that we don't know what we have until we know we can lose it.

I'm not worried about DYING so much as not finishing living. Though I don't think that I can say I know where I'm going ;) .......

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box