So, I found it....

My motivation, that is. Only problem is, I'm having a touch of writer ADHD.

Here's the problem:

Vanished shouldn't be too hard to fix (the one I posted the sucknopsis to a few weeks ago). It needs higher stakes, like Toni said, but I can't think of how to ramp it up. I think if I gave them stronger internal conflicts, but I don't know. If I wasn't suffering from this ADHD, I would think of it, I'm sure, but there's the rub.....

Midnight Sun is the book I worked on with my critique group, so I have good characters, but I'm not sure where to start. I know if I started, I would be able to find it after a few false starts but then......

I had this dream the other night. It was SO good, and was completely plotted out and is really different from anything I've done. It's a pregnant heroine with a five year old, and it's got a beta hero (well, on the surface, he's a spy) but he's all stiff upper lip and that and her name is Emily and she's got a bad boy ex-husband (the father of her baby) and I want to TALK about it (you know that feeling, right, where you know you shouldn't talk about it, that it will kill the magic) and I think it could be really good but there are these other ones that I've already done work on and I know it's just new book euphoria, but I know mostly all the parts and there's a lot of good relationship stuff and.....

Yeah, I see it, too. I have to do it, don't I?

What would you do?

Oh, and how weird of names can you forgive? Graeme? Can you live with that name? Because when I saw it, I thought it had to be his name.

Here's some Gerry. Now help me ;)

Image hosting by Photobucket

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tough call. You're at a place right now where it's about the business and the story.
You have the one book out.
You have slight revisions.
You have massive work needed.
You have the NEW bug.
Could you get the new one going, first three chapters maybe, and then set it aside to work on slight revision book?
Then you could choose between massive work needed and new, not the usual type book.

I don't know.
ACK!

Gina Black said...

If the book is a gift, I say go with it...up to three chapters and a synopsis. Then put it down and get to work on your revisions.

Toni Anderson said...

Hard isn't it? I have this mystery book in my head that builds and builds, scenes, characters, locations, stakes. And it is staying in my head until I get my current wips finished.

But if you do need to write that story--do it :)

Shesawriter said...

Allot yourself one day on each and the clear standout will eventually take over. No use trying to force yourself. I recently discovered collages and I can't tell you how much doing one has helped my motivation level. It's also given me a ton of ideas for my wip. I'm so over the moon about the collage that I blogged about it. I'm more focused now.

Tanya

Rachel Vincent said...

I love wierd names. And I love to use wierd names. So, naturally, I love Graeme.

But I have no idea how much an editor will let you get away with.

MJFredrick said...

Dang, I had to restart my browser this morning - kept getting a "down for maintenence" message from Blogger! Not crazy about the new posting format - just when I got the WNP used to the old way!

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to run with the new story awhile. Like Gina said, it's a gift.

Of course, I also need to get in touch with my agent about revising DLB!

I'll go with Graeme till I hear differently. He is British, stiff upper lip and all that ;)

Off to play!

Toni Anderson said...

British stiff upper lip huh? Very funny ;-)

Forgot to say Graeme isn't weird at all--my cousin was called Graeme. Most people I know called Graeme end up being called Gray--one of my all-time favourite names :)

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box