I Could Never Do That

I just got back from critique group and they liked my story and my characters. Whew!

Interesting, though. Last time we came up with our concepts and one of my partners didn't know what to write about, so we gave her an idea. She's run with it now and has created a story around it. Today she didn't have it quite as fleshed out as mine, so again we prodded her and gave her ideas, and I have no doubt she'll craft a good, fun story around it.

Thing is, I could never write someone else's idea. It has to grow in me or I could never love it. That's why I never do those round robins or exercises like that.

What about you? Can you write a story that comes from someone else?

Okay, really, this post? Just an excuse for this ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever used someone's else idea, but if I had one and I liked it, I think I could try. Btw, you do awesome collages.

MJFredrick said...

I'd REALLY have to like it, though. Good thing - I'd never steal someone else's idea, though, right???

Thanks, Olga!

Marianne Arkins said...

I love taking a bit of something from somewhere else and running with it. I do marathons sometimes (I'm in the middle of one now) using prompts or challenges to get the juices flowing. Or I'll see or read something and think "I could do that better" or "I didn't like that ending" or whatever, and take the basic concept, beat it, bend it, chop it up and put it back together as my own.

My problem is this: once it is my own and I'm writing it, even if I need help - and ask for help - brainstorming, I have a problem accepting anyone's outside thoughts.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box