Character Motivation

Seriously, how can I motivate my characters when I can't motivate myself?? I'm tired and achy and the book I'm reading WILL NEVER BE FINISHED. Why do I keep reading it? It's not bad. It just has tiny print and I can only read maybe 5 pages before falling asleep. Sad. And I have no idea what to wear today. Okay, I have TWO ideas, I just can't decide. Today is relatively warm. Thank goodness tomorrow is jean day.

So I was coming home yesterday thinking about my turning points and my characters and thinking about my heroine, who needs things to be real and wondering why Mal isn't real. I mean, what's he hiding? (Yes, I KNOW I've written almost a fourth of the book and it might be a little late to be asking this question.) So I was thinking about other ghost/demon hunters and why they do what they do. They're called, they take up the family business, they go into it for revenge. I didn't want to do the same kind of thing, so I thought, what if he grew up in a haunted house? And his best friend growing up was a ghost? Okay, that last part is a little silly, I know, but this is a lighter book than I'm used to writing.

So I came home and emailed Trish and dang if she didn't take the whole thing deeper - his belief in this ghost tore apart his family. Trish RULES! So of course he's going to hide his belief in the supernatural. Think it will fly?

New Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural tonight!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6 comments:

Shesawriter said...

Yeppers. That'll do it. Trish does rule. :-)

Tanya

Cindy Taylor said...

I love it, Mary. So much emotional conflict there, and such a good reason for him to hide who he really is fom the heroine.

Great job! And yes, Trish does rule!

Trish Milburn said...

LOL! You all are funny. It's sometimes much easier to help with the stories of other writers than our own.

I'm SO excited there's a new Supernatural tonight!

Judy said...

Sounds like it will work. Don't you love brainstorming with other writers? Sometimes one of my writing friends will say something about one of my characters and it's like... well, duh! Now why didn't I know that about him/her?

MJFredrick said...

What was amazing, Trish, is that you came up with the idea in less than 15 minutes. I email, I check my email, there's the answer. Boom! I can't do that with my story or with other people's stories, so I get to be amazed ;)

I'm glad y'all agree it will work!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I agree, too!

Okay, I'm officially caught up, and now I'm off to watch Supernatural.

God, I hope it's good. I've been DYING without it. :)

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box