Book Trailers

I hardly wrote at all yesterday, but we had a good plotting session.

Today I’m rarin’ to go. I’ve got to call the Apple Store because Margaret said I should be able to get an educator’s discount on the iPod, and I need to clean my bedroom and read some stuff for critique group, and run the ds around…I should be able to write somewhere in there.

At National, Kristin Nelson mentioned that book trailers are a good marketing tool. She said Borders, especially, liked to include them in their e-newsletter. She said people liked live action ones, and this is the one she used as an example.



Yeah, we all have that kind of a budget!

Here are some other live action ones.









I think this one is really clever:

What Isabella Desires


This is my favorite NON live action one.



Here are some other non-live action ones, in varying degrees of goodness.













What do you think of book trailers? Do they make you want to read the book? Do you plan on making one when your book is out? Have you seen some that impress you?

7 comments:

Trish Milburn said...

I like them if they're done well. Otherwise, they just come across as cheezy and cheap, and I think that might actually hurt the book sales rather than help.

Anonymous said...

The only book trailer that actually made me buy the book was Colleen Gleason's first. I LOVED that trailer. And the book measured up. :-)
You can get your educator discount online too at apple education.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I have decided that they are a cool idea that does nothing for me. If I were in the movie theater and one came up, it might be different. But they bore the heck out of me and never made me want to buy the book.

Even that top one, The Manny, I disliked, despite the high production values.

KATZ said...

I hadn't really been interested in them before -- but these made me kind of want to do one! :)

Jill Monroe said...

I had a blast making my own trailer - returned to me all those warm feelings in the editing bay at college!

I have had people tell me they'd never heard of me or my book before until they saw my trailer on watchthebook.com - that rocked!

MJFredrick said...

Jill, I'd never heard of that website, and so spent a good chunk of time playing over there this AM! Where do you get your images?

Mary Beth, Colleen's was one of my favorites, too. I like Deborah Smith's, too, which I saw on http://www.watchthebook.com. I went and put those on my wish list!

I wanted to get my dh into doing these, but he said they'd be pretty cost-prohibitive.

Jill Monroe said...

Mary - I'm pretty sure all the images I used in my own Trailer were ones I took. Makes it easier. BUT you can buy images from stock photo as well.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box