Cranky Mary

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

9 pages on BD yesterday, but ended in a good place to get started this AM. Read a TON of STRAY last night – after it got to a certain point, nearly impossible to put down. I think I fell asleep around 3 AM.

I’m not a fan of August. It’s the month we go back to work, very hectic, VERY hot, and a long way from our next vacation. For 17 years, that’s been my mind set. Last year I was happy to go back, this year is not too bad. But it’s hard to break 17 years of habit, ya know? (Though I did have a nightmare about my class misbehaving very badly on the first day!)

We go out to eat every Sunday morning and maybe twice a month, more during the school year. But I’ve noticed lately, service has been pretty bad.

Last week we went to a local restaurant, and when I saw the waitress we got…eek. We’d had her a few months ago (we go to this restaurant a lot, it’s rarely crowded, and it’s HARD to get certain people up and out on Sundays) and she completely forgot about us. This time she forgot to give us silverware, never came back to refill drinks (the cardinal sin, IMO) and took FOREVER to bring our check. We were there an hour and a half, when we’re usually there for 45 minutes.

Last night we went to Chili’s. You know, it’s not cheap to go out to eat. When you go out, you expect service. We waited over 10 minutes to even SEE our waitress, then she just brought drinks, then took forever to come back for the food order, then disappeared. She brought our food, but all our glasses were empty, and we needed napkins…it just irked me. We were there way longer than we needed to be.

Is it just me being picky, or is service going downhill?


I really need to finish BD – I’m recycling Justin pics!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

5 comments:

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

Hi Mary. I haven't been able to get into Stray, although it's in my TBC (to be continued) pile. Oh, and I tagged you on a Pop Meme.

MicheleKS said...

In answer to your question about being picky on service: no.

In my not-so-humble opinion if you work in the service profession you do your job right or don't work int he business at all. It's not an easy business to work in but when you're on the ball 99.99% of customers will greatly appreciate you.

Anonymous said...

Service in restaurants, going downhill? Yes, I've had a few experiences of waiters forgetting about us.

But what about lawn service? I hate to do it myself and so do my sons. One of them will sneeze for a week afterwards, so I hire people. You'd think they'd like doing my yard. It's a big front yard and a huge backyard and granted, sometimes, it's a huge backyard with knee high grass. BUT, I can't find someone to do it right. Not that I'm being that picky. I just want the grass mowed and picked up. They don't even have to trim it that neatly. The last straw was this guy who left piles of grass everywhere, which are now brown and he didn't cut the weeds along the fence, so those are now thigh-high. I mean really... Doesn't anyone take pride in their work anymore? :(

Lupe

Trish Milburn said...

Yeah, service is often crappy. Having been a waitress in a former life, I tip well when I get good service.

MJFredrick said...

Hey, Elizabeth! I'll get to that meme next week ;) I LOVED Stray, really, really loved it, but it may not be for everyone.

EXACTLY, Michele. I know a lot of people don't CHOOSE to be waiters or waitresses, that it just is the most expedient, but take pride, people! I don't get when people don't do their best on the job.

Lupe, ugh! I've not worried about lawn service - my 16 year old is more than happy to pick up extra cash mowing the grass. But ugh on leaving the grass laying around, killing the other grass!

Trish, I had no idea you used to waitress!!!!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box