Things I'll Miss About Summer Vacation

128288825100746250jazzhands.jpg

I told my mom I was making two lists about things I’ll miss about summer vacation and things I’m looking forward to about the year. She asked which was longer. Well, duh, but I am trying to have a positive attitude here.

Things I’ll miss about summer vacation:

1. Naps
2. Staying up late to read/write/watch movies
3. Hearing the church bells at noon
4. Dropping everything and going someplace instead of having to plan ahead (especially lunch!)
5. Staying in my pjs all day
6. Driving lessons
7. Sitting in the morning sunshine at the computer, which is next to the east window – seeing the morning sunshine reflecting in the house
8. Hearing the sounds of the washer and dryer and dishwasher – makes me feel homey
9. Watering my plants in the early morning light
10. Getting my mail as soon as it arrives
11. Letting my kitties out in the morning and in for their afternoon naps – I don’t let them out when I’m not here.
12. Diet Coke in icy mugs (when the boy hadn’t used them all!)
13. NO SCHEDULE
14. NO ALARM CLOCK


Things I’m looking forward to about going back:

1. Dressing up
2. Seeing friends
3. Listening to audiobooks to and from school
4. Stopping at Starbucks
5. Lower electric bill since we won’t be home all day
6. A raise (woo and hoo - $60 a paycheck BEFORE taxes – glad I don’t have the district’s insurance – those folks have had a pay cut 2 years running because the increase is more than our raises.) We won’t talk about Brand New teachers making only $800 less than 11 year veterans.
7. Cooler weather on the way
8. A fresh start with new kids

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey Mary!! Just wanted to say hi :) And the thing on teacher's pay... it's criminal! Teachers have one of the most important jobs in the world and they are not properly appreciated or paid for their massive contribution to society. And veteran teachers even more so. You guys rock! :)

Toni Anderson said...

I love the teachers in my kids' school (kids!!) DS starts kindy in two weeks.. yippee!!!

Anonymous said...

Have a great year, Mary! My district's insurance is high, too. No way can I have my family on it.

Kelly Boyce said...

It's hard to believe school is starting up again. Seems like summer vacation just started. Hope the year goes great for you!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Insurance is high everywhere. My chiropractor told me a while back that his wife catered a breakfast for 2500 employees of the local BC/BS. The company was rewarding them for record profits.

A couple of years ago Hershey employees went on strike because the company wanted them to pay a portion of their premium. Of course, they lost more money by being on strike for a week than they would have paid in premiums...Hm. Not sure of the relevance of that story. Sorry.

My husband is the administrator of his company benefits, and he has to juggle and tweak and bargain every year to find a balance between bankrupting the company and giving good benefits to his employees.

MJFredrick said...

Howdy, Steph!!!! I hope all is well with you! Thanks for the commiseration!!!

Toni, I know the teachers appreciate it! Good luck to your ds!

Thanks, Mary Beth! You, too!

Thanks, Kelly! Yep, summer went by fast in some ways, but as I was sitting in meetings yesterday, I was thinking I was returning to real life, and it's not so bad ;) Now today around 2, I may think differently!

Natalie, my understanding is that our insurance is so high because we're such a small district - 10 elem schools, 2 middle schools, 2 HS (well, now one since the other was flooded out). Not as many employees to spread out the cost, which is why I'm on my dh's plan. His station is small, but the corporation that owns them is large.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Ah, yes, that makes sense. The fewer the employees, the lower the buying power. Sorry for getting on my soapbox about the evil insurance empires. :)

But that's a SMALL district????

We have five elementary schools, one middle, and one high school. My oldest's class, which is a "big" one, has only 300 and something kids. Yours is huge by comparison!

But I suppose not so much in Texas. :)

MJFredrick said...

Comparatively small, Natalie. My son's district has 43 elementary schools, 13 middle schools and 6 high schools. My son's HS class has 900+ kids!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box