Hot Shot Releases Tomorrow!

Here's an excerpt:

Gabe pushed out of the tent and collided with the soft body of Peyton Michaels. She must have found the showers, because her hair was no longer black with soot, and some fruity scent floated up from her, but he couldn’t stand around smelling her, thinking of her as a woman, as anything other than a reporter. His mind already moved ahead to the mountain. He acknowledged her with a nod and set her aside.

She hurried after him and touched his arm. He stopped, glanced from her hand to her bold brown eyes. “Can I help you?”

She didn’t drop her hand away despite his pointed look. “I want to go with you.”

“Go where?” As if he didn’t know. Just like a reporter. This was not something he wanted to deal with now, on the heels of dealing with Jen. His shields weren’t all the way back up.

“To the camp.”

He glanced back at the tent. Of all the people to overhear, it had to be her. “Eavesdropping?”

She merely lifted her brows. Always challenging him. “I have ears.”

“We had a deal. One shift.” He sliced his hand through the air in a gesture of finality, not wanting the responsibility for her a minute longer. “Your shift is up.”

“But this—rescuing trapped children!” Her voice shook with excitement as she trotted after him. “This is exactly what I’m writing about.”

He scowled. “I’m not doing this for your amusement, Michaels.”

She looked stricken he would think so, and he felt an uncharacteristic stab of regret. Hell, what did she think, making statements like that? That she was going to improve his opinion of reporters?

“No, of course not. But you have to see how important this would be to me.”

All the wrong reasons to go up on the mountain. He shook his head. “And just what makes you think that matters to me?”

Her temper brightened her eyes. “Is it just me, or all reporters?”

He didn’t hesitate. “All reporters.”

She huffed out a breath. “Here I was all a-tingle, thinking I was special.”

Here he thought he was starting to like her wise mouth. He didn’t dignify her remark with an answer.

“What happened?” she pressed, hovering at his elbow. “Someone get on your bad side?”

“Did you hear I had a good side?”

A surprised laugh burst from her. Damn, she was cute, all dimples and white teeth.

“You know, you’re right. An assumption on my part.”

“Comes with the job,” he muttered, and she laughed again.

“What is it?” Her voice was breathless as she tried to keep up with him. He wouldn’t feel sorry for her. “What makes you hate us so much?”

“It couldn’t be the constant questions,” he said.

“Sure, it could be, but that would be an annoyance, not downright hatred.”

He stopped then and faced her. “Will you tell me, right here and right now, what your angle is?” She opened her mouth and he lifted one finger to silence her. “Not what your story is, but what spin you’re going to put on it?”

“Is that it? You’ve been burned by interviews so all reporters are bad?”

“See? You can’t even answer a damned question without a question. I need to go get my crew together.” He turned on his heel.

She came after him, edging around a cluster of firefighters to look up at him. “All right. My series is on heroic jobs and the people who live them. People want to read about real-life heroes.”

He snorted. “Then you’re following the wrong guy around.”

Photobucket

2 comments:

KATZ said...

Loved it! Very snappy, and some great lines from them. Great tension and conflict! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box