Welcome Guest Blogger Jana Mercy!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome first time Ellora's Cave author Jana Mercy here today.

Can you believe I forgot to ask her about the cow? Jana, tell us about the cow!

1) What inspired HER LAST FLING?

I wanted to write a book with an unusual hero. Someone with an everyday kind of job that you don't usually think of as sexy hero material. So, my hero is a dentist. Or as he and his partner are often referred to--the men who make you smile. :) My heroine was so much fun to write. She's funny, sensitive, the kind of person I'd love to have as a friend.

2) What is your process? Do you have the same process for every book?

I'm a total pantser. An idea or character will pop into my head, I start writing, and just keep going until I work all the kinks out. Sometimes that means going over the story several times, but I find that with each time I do that I can layer in different things--like humor, description, better word choices.

3) What has your journey been like so far? Is there anything you'd do differently in your career so far?

My journey is really just starting. At least from the published aspect. Her Last Fling is my first published novel although I've been writing for years.

4) What aspect of craft have you struggled with the most? How do you overcome it to write a selling book?

I've struggled with introspection. I love to be inside my characters' heads and that's not always a good thing. Especially when there's too much. One of those kinks I have to work out is introspection. I like my stories to be fast paced and too much introspection slows things down. With each pass through I cut introspection. And when I think I've got it right--I cut some more.

5) What one thing do you think beginning writers focus on that they probably shouldn't?

What other people think. Their family, friends, critique partner, chaptermates, etc. Write what you know. Write what you enjoy. Hone your craft. Never quit learning and trying to improve.

AMEN, Sister!

6) What do you enjoy most about being a writer?

Creating characters who are so real to me that I feel like they're good friends, that they're people I miss when the story is done. Another big plus to being a writer is the friends I've made along the way.

7) Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten years?

In the future, I hope to still be writing books that I enjoyed writing as much as I enjoyed writing Her Last Fling. I really did have fun with this book and I hope that shows to readers when they read the story. I want those secret giggles with thoughts of "Oh no! She didn't!" and "OMG!" and lots of LOL moments and all the other warm fuzzies a book from Ellora's Cave should give a reader.

8) What are you working on now?

In October my second book comes out with Ellora's Cave. Titled Strip or Treat, it's also got a main character with an unusual occupation--she works for the IRS. Sound totally unsexy? Guess it all depends on who's books you're auditing and when it's Heavenly Hunks strip club, well, sex is what it's all about.

Hey, I think I remember when you were writing this one!

I've also sold a futuristic to Ellora's Cave called Underground Pleasure. My hero is a pleasure slave and has been given to my heroine to teach her the ways of being a woman prior to her marriage. I've never written books with fight scenes or to where I completely let loose of my inhibitions until this book. Honestly, if I could have any one hero to...meet...in real life, Romjin wins hands down. Pleasure me, baby!

Oooh, sounds GREAT!!! Definitely something to look forward to!

Okay, your turn - what do you want to know about Jana Mercy?

Photobucket

11 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Clearly we need to know about the cow... you're absolutely right!

Trish Milburn said...

Hey, Jana! Great to see you here today. I'm with Mary and Marianne, I'm curious about the cow. :)

Anonymous said...

ohhhh. That cow has me curious, too...although I'm a little afraid to hear why he's on the cover... ;l]

Carla Capshaw said...

I really enjoyed the interview, Jana! And I'm with everyone else wanting to know about the cow.
:-)

Esri Rose said...

I tried to get my publisher to have my nekkid-torsoed guy holding a rubber duck, but they wouldn't bite.
LOVE the cow. Who wouldn't pick up a book with that cover? No one, that's who!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Sounds like a fun read, Jana. Heck with the cow, I like the bisceps.

Tawny said...

Hi Jana!! What a fun interview, I love hearing about author's processes and how they create such awesome stories. I'm so excited for yours! btw... what is UP with that cow? do tell ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi all! Sorry I'm late to the party. As much as I'd like to say I was a stay home gal with the guy on Her Last Fling's cover providing me a wickedly fat bank account, alas, I have to do the 9-5 thing that somehow always turns into the 9 to 7 thing. Imagine.

LOL on the cover. In Her Last Fling, my heroine's mom is always spouting out words of wisdom--like why buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free? My heroine decides to take this advice to heart and wants to be the 'bought cow' so to speak. I won't give away anything in the book to spoil the story for you, but the cow represents Noah 'buying the cow' At least that's my interpretation.

Honestly, I didn't like the cow to begin with. I asked them to change it to a stuffed cow or to just take the cow off altogether and leave the hunky guy. They refused. Now I'm glad they did because the cow really makes my cover stand out among the other Ellora's Cave covers.

Anonymous said...

Esri, you have me intrigued about your cover and why you wanted a nekkid torsoed guy holding a rubber duck...makes me want to go run a bubble bath.

MJFredrick said...

So cute, Jana! you know - I had another question to ask and in the time it took for my browser to stall and reboot I forgot it....grrr.

Oh, wait, I remembered! Who was your inspiration for Noah? I'm writing a Noah now, too.

Jana Mercy said...

I love the name Noah. I have since Dr Noah Drake on General Hospital a zillion years ago. :) ((That was Rick Springfield's character's name.)) If I was smart I'd say I used Rick for my inspiration, because he inspires me--but, and I'm not sure why, Luke Wilson was who I used. Not Luke from recent days, but Luke from like the first Legally Blonde. Now I'm not sure why because Noah is way hotter than Luke Wilson...well, ever. But you asked so I answered honestly. Wait, can I change my answer to Rick Springfield? ;)

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box