Expectations

Humorous Pictures
Enter the ICHC online Poker Cats Contest!

Cindi was back at work yesterday. She said the dr. thinks it's some kind of syndrome, but that it's more nuisance than life threatening. I'm kinda leaning toward Natalie's diagnosis, though, the diabetes. She was borderline gestational diabetes with her last baby, but she doesn't have family history. We'll know more next week.

I was roaming around Amazon yesterday looking for friends' books and I noticed Lani Diane Rich (who I don't know, but I'm a fan) has a TON of books I haven't read. I know she hasn't been published that long and I started getting this squeezing in my chest and thought, "I should be writing faster." I know, I'm not supposed to compare myself to other writers, but dang, I thought I'd have both Vanished and Wayback done and submitted by now. Now I'm looking at the end of Spring Break, in three weeks (for Wayback, at least. Vanished should be done this week.) I know I can't write any faster. I wake up at 4-4:30 every morning (except this week) and work at least an hour, then write in the evening, too. I don't watch as much TV as I did, I'm slower with movies and reading, and I don't want to give that up entirely.

So how do you STOP yourself from having the expectations of being like someone else?

I figured out my connection between the conflicts in my Wayback story....that he has a "don't fence me in" attitude because he was fenced in by his stage parents and later his manager when he was younger, and she's still fenced in.

And I figured out that I don't have the chemistry between them because she's acting too much the victim. Must make her funnier.

Photobucket

4 comments:

kris said...

Breathe, Mary. Lani doesn't have a full time job. You do. I'm not even sure if she has a PT one. She's not putting books out warp speed, either - probably 9 months apart at the fastest. Don't let it get to you, and don't sell yourself short. You produce an amazing amount, even without the job. And remember, in the long run, it's quality, not quantity, that will get you known.

Gina Black said...

You can't compare people, really. We're all distinct and individual. We all have our own rhythms, themes, and experiences.

Don't sweat it. Just do your best to do it your way. :)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

What Kris and Gina said!!!

Natalie's diagnosis

ACK!

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I don't play one on TV. I don't think I've ever even written one (not in a whole book, anyway)!

LOL!

Anonymous said...

Argh! I tried to reply, but it keeps saying that action has already been done. :-(
What everyone else said, Mary. Compete with yourself and no one else. Make each story the best it can be and have fun writing!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box