Morrigan's Cross

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Y'all know me. I love Nora. You also know I never write bad reviews. I finished reading Morrigan’s Cross this weekend. Took me a long time, and not just because the print was microscopic. (That could have been what made me cranky. Come on, folks, you know Nora's good for it - add a couple extra pages, an extra dollar to the cost of the book. SHEESH!)

It was a good story, the kind you find yourself thinking about at different points in the day, but I had one major quibble.

I hated the heroine. HATED. Loathed. Despised. She was such a know-it-all, the best fighter, the best thinker, the best WHATEVER. God, I couldn’t stand her. (Did you pick up on that? Subtlety is not my thing.)

Because of this, I never got a handle on the hero. He was vague and he was quiet and he was a sorcerer. And he was from the 12th century. And his name was Hoyt. Seriously. But we hardly ever got to know him. Though I knew enough that the heroine didn’t deserve him.

The other thing I didn’t like was how easily everyone jumped on the mission (a big vampire war). Hoyt says jump, and everyone jumps, no quibbling, no matter what they had to give up. It was…I dunno.

JoAnn and I were talking about it and we agreed it’s a very stream-of-consciousness book, like we’re in Nora’s head when she’s coming up with the story.

I will read the rest of the series, which is why I struggled through Glenna’s story. But she better not be the best WHATEVER in those books, too.

7 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I'm about to start reading it myself... Hmmm... wonder what I'll think? My mom tried to read it and said she couldn't get into it.

Wonder what happened to Nora? She's usually pretty right on.

Kelly Boyce said...

Wow...bummer. I've only read two Nora Roberts books. One I liked, one was okay. I keep thinking I should read more, there's certainly enough to choose from! But maybe I'll skip that one.

Toni Anderson said...

Nora is so wildly different in so many of her books. I have Angels Fall in my TBR pile. That looks really good.

Heroine's a know it all? Man I hate those. Reminds me too much of me!!

Anonymous said...

Mar, I just sent you an email on this, and now I see your blog. I was SO thrilled about this trilogy. I'm a paranormal reader, a paranormal author. But I got to about page 150 and gave up. I don't care about these characters. I don't feel any connection to them at all. I am so very, very disappointed by this. I wanted to love this series so much, because Three Sisters Island is my favorite series of all time. But not this time. Sigh.

Sadly,
J

MJFredrick said...

Marianne and Toni, I hope you like it more than I did. Remember, I didn't like Blue Smoke for the same reason, but it was up for a Rita.

Kelly, I highly recommend Angels Fall. That one was awesome, true Nora.

JoAnn, I'm sorry you put it down! I didn't, simply because it was the first in the series. I hope I'll like Dance and Valley better.

Anonymous said...

Mar, I'll give it another try...I really DO want to love the series!

J

MJFredrick said...

JoAnn, good luck giving it another shot. I should be getting Dance next week.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box