Size 12 Is Not Fat

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I think it was Natalie who didn't like the Meg Cabot book we got in Atlanta. I started it with some trepidation, but it passed the 50-pages test with flying colors!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The main character, Heather Wells, is a former pop singer, a la Tiffany. Her mom absconded with her fortune, her boyfriend from a boy band dumped her for a rising star, and she's on her own, starting over by being assistant director at a dorm. I mean, residence hall (okay, that got old pretty fast, but...) Thing is, girls are dying while elevator surfing, and Heather is the only one who thinks it's suspicious. (Okay, also a little bit of a stretch, but...)

Why did I like this book? I like Meg Cabot's voice. If you've ever read her blog, well, that's the same voice. And she usually has me snorting Diet Coke out my nose. It was set in Washington Square Park in NYC, and I LOVE NYC. And while this is chick lit and not really a romance, Heather has it bad for her landlord/ex-boyfriend's older estranged brother, Cooper. (I like the name, too.) Between this book and The Body Movers, I realized how much I love romances, because I was reading for the pages when Heather and Cooper were together. Not that interesting stuff didn't happen when they WEREN'T together, but I mostly liked it when they were.

Oddly, I was going to write a former-pop-star-with-an-ex-boyfriend-from-a-boy-band book someday. I even had a title (which of course I can't remember now.) Maybe I'll write it for Wild Rose Press - it sure wasn't very long, in my mind.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mar...I'm glad you liked this book. I was going to get it because I AM a size 12 (currently) and it is NOT fat! LOL

I started reading Angels Fall...Morrigan's Cross is waiting for me. I have a very high TBR stack, but that's a good thing. :)

Joanna

Stephanie said...

I really disliked this book -- I put it aside after about 90 pp... couldn't get into it. I found it more a blend of chick-lit and YA, and, like Meg herself in person, just a little too bee-boppy. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed her speech, but it felt a bit like, you know, like, silly. As did the book.

But that's the beauty of reading tastes -- they're as varied as us, the readers. I'm glad you had a good read : )

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Nope, not me, didn't read it yet.

I did read Queen of Babble and it didn't suck. Her voice isn't my favorite, but she's one of the rare writers who has overcome my dislike of first person and hatred of present tense.

Coulda also been because I forgot to take another book on vacation, though. :)

MJFredrick said...

Steph, it was silly, but I liked it. I thought it was cute. But I would have liked more romance ;)

I'm definitely getting the next in the series.

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box