Positive Thinking

I was going to blog about empathy today, but I realized I did that LAST 9-11, and way better. All I know is, I won't be watching a lot of TV today because it's hard for me to relive. (And yes, I feel guilty that it affects me so much and I wasn't in NYC or DC and it didn't directly affect me at all.)

It's days like this I wish I could escape into my writing, but what drives me to write is finding out WHY things happen, WHY people do the things they do. Does not make for light reading. Or contemplating.

So I'm going to blog about positive attitudes. Which I don't have. Right now I'm looking at this week ahead. A full 5 days (okay, a half day inservice Thursday, but still.) I have duty today, after school. I hate duty. I'm PMS, AGAIN. On top of that, Open House tomorrow night. I hate Open House. You have to be "on" an extra three hours, your schedule is ALL messed up....if I could stay late and get caught up on paperwork, that would be something else entirely.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Worse, next week we're having Math Night, so have to do it all over again. We tried to get the district to allow us to do both, but noooo. Ya know, we got that big raise and everything (only about 4 years overdue.)

Then there's the writing bit. As in, nothing out, nothing to look forward to. And I see people getting news which a couple of years ago I would have thought was GREAT but now I'm cynical about it. I hate feeling that way.

And then there's the book cover of Willing - a turtleneck? Seriously? I hope I can read this one fast, because it's in the running for worst cover ever.

So no positive attitude here. Gosh, aren't you glad I cheered y'all up?

Maybe this will make up for it. Check out my status bar - I got a LOT done this weekend!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

8 comments:

Dixie Belle said...

I'm listening to The Artist Way on tape by Julia Cameron. It is a huge help when you are blocked or not feeling positive about your art. I just listened to the part about maintaining belief in yourself as an artist. You might think about getting it.

Kelly Boyce said...

I know what you mean about avoiding the tv. I'm not even American but this day always bothers me. I remember sitting at work staring at my computer in shock as the video roled and then the stream of displaced souls that landed at our airport and needed a place to stay until the air space reopened.

April said...

Nope, no TV today.

Hope your week gets better! Positive thoughts are very important... But they're not always easy...

Marianne Arkins said...

Gotta say, I'm avidly watching today -- I've always felt that if you let things get too distant (like the Holocaust -- how many people think that it really didn't happen? Enough do that I'm a little scared). In fact, MSNBC ran six hours of their original coverage from 9/11/01 and it was fascintating to watch (through tears of course, but interesting to see).

Of course, I'm a hop, skip and a jump from Boston, knew people who died on one of the flights, and knew dozens of other folks who lost friends and families. It's close to home here.

RE: Positive thoughts -- do something absurd. I've found that I can't feel sad or angry when I'm turning cartwheels with my daughter on the lawn.

Hang in there!!

MJFredrick said...

Poured rain today, and I thought maybe I'd get out of doing duty. Alas, no.

Dixie, I tried The Artist's Way a few years ago. Not for me.

Marianne, I know what you mean about needing to keep the memory alive, but for me it's hard, hard, hard. I was talking to my class about it today and just from my little slice of life from that day, I started crying.

(Odd side note - one of the kids who is in my class now was in my class that day, in PreK. I was teaching music then and his class was the first one of the day. He remembers the nurse coming in and turning on my TV and turning it around so the kids couldn't see.)

Anonymous said...

{{{Mary}}}
Today is a very difficult day.
If you're down because of your writing, look through what you've done recently and find the best passage. Print it out and post it to remind yourself that you are an amazing writer.
Or find your mission statement. WHY do you write? What's in it for you?

If you're down about the day job: Write your own I Have a Dream speech. Or maybe write down a quick snippet about a positive teaching experience you've had.

Hugs again.

Esri Rose said...

Awwww... We're cycling together!

That really is a crappy cover. Like something out of the 70s, written by Judy Blume.

I was desperately churning out an ezine article on 9/11 and so didn't have to worry about feeling too much or not enough. I'm leaving this comment on the 13th.

MJFredrick said...

It's all that hanging out in Atlanta, Esri!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box