Cops and Firefighters and Soldiers, Oh, My!

So I’m going back into revisions for Hot Shot again – the beginning this time, and till I’m done, you get to look at George Clooney, my model for Gabe.

Image hosting by Photobucket

I watched Good Night and Good Luck and didn’t get the big deal. Yeah, GC and Robert Downey Jr. and Jeff Daniels and Frank Langella were in it, but I didn’t get the big suspense.

Last week I may have revealed a little too much of myself to the teachers at lunch. One of the teachers is married to a cop, and she was talking about how when they’d go dancing before they were married, she’d feel his gun under his shirt and it would make her feel safe.

I said it would make me hot.

I love writing cops and firefighters and soldiers. Big, strong guys, trained within an inch of their lives to take care of themselves, to protect others. I love writing guys who are able to take charge, take over. I have a scene in DLB where the heroine watches the hero fire an automatic weapon and it’s like her hero, the man who’s saved her life, has come back to life before her eyes. She doesn’t find it sexy, per se, but reassuring.

In Where There’s Smoke, the heroine falls more in love with the hero when she sees him in paramedic mode, taking charge to save a child’s life.

In Second Chances (yes, most used title ever), it’s the contrast between the take-charge FBI agent who can also be gentle with a victim that softens the heroine’s heart.

So what does that say about me, that I like these take-charge guys? Well, I can hazard a guess. But I also have a feeling I wouldn’t like them as much in person as I like them on the page.

6 comments:

Trish Milburn said...

This is the big allure of the alpha male again, at least on paper. :)

Shesawriter said...

Mary,

Good luck with the revisions, and thanks for the man candy. It's appreciated. :-)

Tanya

Dana Pollard said...

Mary, I'm married to a cop, so yeah, I get the whole hot feeling when he puts his uniform on. He doesn't even have to have his gun on his belt and I melt! hehe

good luck with the revisions.

Anonymous said...

Mary, I like take a charge hero in books, as soon as he doesn't try to take charge of the heroine. And best of luck with revisions!

MJFredrick said...

Olga, you're dead on about the alpha guy not trying to take control of the heroine. I just read Jewel of Atlantis, and this balance was really good - Gray was very alpha, but he totally trusted the heroine to be herself.

Dana, ahh, the uniform. For me, not so much the police uniform as the firefighters....especially the t-shirts....mmm

Anonymous said...

My DH was a Naval Officer, and now a Firefighter-Paramedic. I have always loved him in all his uniforms.

But I love him holding our kids when they were little, or stretched out on the beach beside me, a lot more.

True alpha males are fun to read, but I wouldn't want one full time! I want the full spectrum in a man. A, B, C, D. :)

Hugs,
J

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box