Revisions and Breakthrough

SO as you know I'm revising Hot Shot again. Six years, folks. I started it in the summer of 2000, when the CO fires were so bad. I've written more stuff in between, but have come back to it at the urging of editors and now my agent. Some things about it make it not too bad - I know the characters really well. Other things slip away, like all the research I did. I'll read through it and think, "How do I know that?" Or if a CP tells me to go into more detail about something, I'll know I KNEW it, but I've forgotten and I don't know where to find it (maybe I should start making footnotes or something, but I don't remember how to do THAT either.) Other problems are that, since I've worked on it so long, I can't see it in a different way. It's hard to change things because in my head it's always been that way. I've been using a lot of cold readers this time.

This latest round is changing the heroine's motivation to make it less category. This advice was given to me on March 17. It took me almost as week to figure out how to change it (I mean, it's been the same motivation for six years.)

I've done 100 pages of revisions in 2 days, and all I can think is that I'm ruining the book. I'm not making it better. All this new stuff is stuck willy-nilly in my story.

So last night, exhausted at 9:30, I crawled into bed and started thinking. A couple of years back, my friend Karen went to a workshop where they were talking about motivation and you have to keep asking yourself WHY to get to the character's motivation.

So I started doing that last night, and wow, do I like the results.

Peyton is on the fire to show she's a committed reporter.

WHY?

She's never been committed to a job before, and her husband was so committed to his job that he died for it.

WHY has she never been committed?

When things got tough in a job, she just quit.

WHY?

She's never been good at anything, and her parents were good at everything. Her mother is a surgeon, her dad is a dr (I've been working on this story for 6 years and never thought to think about what her parents did. They will probably never show up in the story, and I may make one mention of her mother the surgeon, but it's good to know!)

EDITED TO ADD: OMG, DO YOU REALIZE WHAT THIS IS???? PARENTAL APPROVAL!!!!! DANG, I DON'T LOVE IT NEARLY AS MUCH AS I DID THIS MORNING.

Soooo, when Gabe pokes at her about being a reporter, he's poking at her own doubts about herself.

See? (If that really sucks, don't tell me. I'm happy.)


Image hosting by Photobucket

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my buddy JoAnn!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo on the breakthrough, Mary!!! That sounds awesome. :)

KATZ said...

sounds great, Mary! I hate revisions - best of luck!

Trish Milburn said...

Don't you love it when your brain figures out something when you think it's too tired to even fire synapses. :)

Happy Birthday, JoAnn!

Stephanie said...

Mary, hugs on the frustration and kudos on the breakthrough. Amazing how that one little word - WHY - generates so much stuff, hmmm?

Steph

Toni Anderson said...

100 pages in 2 days??? Wow Mary that's great! Sounds like good motivation. Those darned parents ruin everything!!!

Shesawriter said...

Mary,

That is INCREDIBLE production. Sounds like you know exactly where you need to go. Congrats!

Tanya

Rene said...

Kind of makes you feel like a four year old doesn't it? Why? Why? Why? But it is amazing how it all comes out if you keep badgering yourself. Good job.

Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel, and I find myself doing that a lot as well.. especially on the current WIP...

Anonymous said...

Mar, I think you're going great guns on this revision. Don't doubt yourself!!! This is a great story. IT IS. I've read it. Believe in it, and in you, cher.

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Mar...no one made a bigger deal about my birthday this year than you, and I love you for it. You are a true friend in every possible sense. Love you, dear one.

Hugs,
J

MJFredrick said...

A four year old! Exactly! The Toddler's Approach to Plotting! Sooo, I'd gotten through 150 pages Tuesday night before the breakthrough. I had to go BACK through those pages again, haven't finished. So I'm up bright and early to start again. I really want to email this to Emily by tomorrow AM.

JoAnn, I love birthdays, love to make a big deal over them. Hope it was grand!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the final!

MJFredrick said...

Thanks, Kendra!!!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box