Entertainment Weekly

I was reading my Entertainment Weekly the other day and two things jumped out at me. Okay, three, if you count the picture of Sawyer on the table of contents page. And on page 13.


The first thing was when they interviewed Oscar voters for their top picks. The screenwriter they interviewed (anonymously) said, “Love stories are only interesting when love is denied.”

Well, yeah, throughout the story. Pride and Prejudice is love denied. Two Weeks Notice is Love denied. Bridget Jones…I could go on. But the most satisfying are those where the couple works through the denial, defeats whatever is keeping them apart, and triumphs over it to be together. That’s what makes us believe these people can have a happily ever after, right, because if they go through this much trouble to be together, they’re probably going to stay together.

The other thing that struck me was Stephen King’s commentary on the last page. I love his commentaries and will probably renew my subscription for this alone. Only this one was a bit depressing. He was talking about the band he loves, but who never could catch the break to make it big. He says, “All I know is that talent is a lightning rod and America is a thunderstorm. You go running around like crazy, you get soaked, your arm gets tired holding that damn thing up…and still, lightning, all too often, strikes half a block over, electrifying someone else.”

Wow. And ouch. I know that there are a lot of books out there. And I know that there are a lot of talented writers who haven’t gotten published. In my 2003 Golden Heart class, less than 20 have sold. That leaves more than 50 of us who haven’t. Now maybe some have given up, but others like Trish and Esri and Lorelle and Bridget and Jennifer and Delle and Debra and Theresa and Charity and Jenna are busting tail to get their work published. Some have finalled more than once and still haven’t found the match. Kinda discouraging, isn’t it? Others have had one book published and are busting tail to get another one on the shelves. Scary.

So Stephen King struck a nerve at a time when I’m feeling vulnerable. I guess that’s why he’s Stephen King.

Image hosting by Photobucket

7 comments:

Trish Milburn said...

I've really enjoyed Stephen King's columns in EW too. And, oh, do I know what he's talking about. It's frustrating not only for myself but for so many really talented writers I know. I'm sure everyone works hard, but if we're honest we've read published works and wondered how they got published rather than someone else's still unpublished but much better work.

Here's to more talented writers making sales this year, including you Mary!

MicheleKS said...

Mr. King knows what he's talking about because of his struggle in his early years. I mean, if his wife hadn't rescued the manuscript for 'Carrie' it might never have happened for him.

But I don't think there's such a thing as overnight success. For most people, it is a long hard struggle with repeated setbacks and those that truly succeed don't give up.

MJFredrick said...

Michele, last weekend I saw the Stephen King biography on A&E. It was gooood, though it showed way too many pictures of him (he's not attractive) and didn't really tell me anything I didn't know from reading On Writing. I really just like his perspective.

Anonymous said...

He's right.
This last few weeks I've been right there with you, Mary. And then I looked at my work and decided it was worth it for me to keep going, but NOT if I was going to focus on selling.
Do I want to sell? More than I can stand it some days.
Why am I going to write now that selling isn't my focus? To teach me about life, about love, about words and how they can be used to create something amazing.
At least for now that's what I'm doing.
One day I might quit. I'd like to say that's an impossibility, but it's not. I know that. I know it would be easier to focus on work and life and forget all about the stories in me, but I'm not there yet.
You are an amazing writer. You've gotten a lot of feedback the last few months to help you get where you need to be. When you do sell it's going to be one heck of a party!

MJFredrick said...

Mary Beth, thanks. I think you've made the right adjustment, to write for yourself and go from there. I think it will really free you.

Nikki, it was eye-opening, wasn't it? We hear so often that if you try hard and want it bad enough....but it doesn't happen for everyone.

Yow.

Rachel Vincent said...

The frightening thing about King's analogy is that it's so apt. You can run around for an entire lifetime holding up that rod, and never be struck by lightning. Then, the girl standing right next to you could be stuck, holding a rubber tire instead of a metal rod.

So much of this business is random, and subjective. It's frightening to think how little of our own careers we have control over. So I try not to think about it.

But some of my very favorite quotes are by King, and I've read nearly everything he's written. I think he's brilliant, for more reasons than I could list here.

MJFredrick said...

Rachel, I think the part of this writing gig I hate the most is lack of control. And believe me, I've had my share of jealousy over the girl holding the rubber tire! Bbut like I told my kids, all I can do is the best I can do, right?

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box