Let's Fantasize about OTHER Things

I woke up this morning to find my tax refund check was deposited (in the nick of time, I might add - I got paid BEFORE Spring Break and won't get paid again till the end of the month) and that my electric bill was the cheapest it's been since we moved into this house.

Yay.

So keeping in the money theme, let's talk about advances. Not how much you'll get, but what you'll do with it. I know one friend bought a beautiful chaise lounge kinda thing so she can sit in it and do her revisions.

I will admit, part of my advance will go to something practical, like getting the house painted (I really REALLY hope I sell soon, because it needs it.) And probably to pay for the conference. And I promised my son I'd buy him a tube amp for being such a good sport. And my dh needs a new laptop. But what do I want, to signify the accomplishment? (And will there be anything left??)

Hm.

You'd think I'd have thought this through a little more ;)

Okay, I know. I want my patio redone. I know, it SOUNDS like home improvement, but if I had my patio redone, I'd get a limestone rock wall built around it, just high enough to sit on. I'd get a spot for the grill that wasn't unsightly. And I'd get the little flower bed on the end contained a little better. Then I could sit out there and enjoy it and that would be a good reward, right?

What will you do with your advance?

Image hosting by Photobucket

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear today!!!!

15 comments:

Paula said...

I held my advance until I did my taxes, since, of course, I had to pay taxes on it. I then sent half to my broker for my IRA, put part of it aside to buy a Certificate of Deposit, another portion will go to savings, and the rest I just spent on paying my bills.

That's kind of pathetic, isn't it? :)

Dana Pollard said...

This is the first year the hubby was considered "self employed," me too. We're hoping to not pay any taxes.

BUT!! If I got back like the dream return. (say $10,000... I told you it was a dream) I'd have my tummy done. Carrying twins full term does ugly things to the belly. :)

I will have my 90 year old woman belly removed when I receive my first check from selling a book. It's MINE... ALL MINE!! hahahahaha!

I need more coffee.

KATZ said...

Hey, Dana - I have twins too! Definitely doing the nip/tuck sometime in the future!! :)

With my advance - buy a fantastic outfit and spend a day at the spa!! That should leave plenty to pay bills and buy my hubby a nice dinner out.

Esri Rose said...

Put on a big booksigning party!

Toni Anderson said...

Congratulations Mary!!!!

Marianne Arkins said...

Mary,

Just saw your GH final! Woo Hoo! Big Congratulations!!!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Woo-hoo, Mary, on the GH final!!!!!!!

So happy for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo, Mary!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on the GH final!!!!!! :)

Shesawriter said...

CONGRATULATIONS, MARY! Woohoo! This is wonderful news! :-)

Hugs,

Tanya

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I just saw it and thought, "Hm. Is that MaryF?" I guess it is! WAY TO GO!

KATZ said...

MARY!!!!!!!! How exciting!!!! Huge congratulations!!! :) :)

Amie Stuart said...

Speaking of Taxes I desperately need to do mine. And I'm getting a refund. How sad is that?

Anyway........I've already been blessed with a gorgeous red chaise--I love it. I think everyone should have one. Soooo the only thing I really want is a bracelet from Female Creations. It has a little River of Hope symbol on it.

My house needs floors, so it might go into the pot to pay for floors. OTOH #2 son DESPERATELY needs braces, adn believe it or not that's one of the first things I thought of when I got the call "now the kids can have braces" LOL

How practical.......

MJFredrick said...

Wow, Paula, that was really practical! I don't have it in me. I just don't.

LOL, Dana! C-sections don't do much for the belly area, either.

Peggy, yeah, the bills....I did consider that. But the paint job. That we need. We've lived here 7 years now.

Sarah, I can imagine with twins that you'd want time to yourself, but I couldn't handle all that stillness.

Stacy, yes about the family dinner someplace nice! I forgot about that.

Esri, my advance will prolly be gone by the time the book comes out! But definitely a party.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mary!! Woo hoo!!

MJFredrick said...

Nikki, LOL on $100 worth of music - isn't iTunes great? My $100 would be all 80s stuff, though. My dh and ds were complaining that all the music in the car tonight was soundtracks.

Cece, those braces are murder, aren't they? Very cool about the bracelet, and the chaise. Sounds very elegant.

Thanks for the congratulations, Toni, Marianne, Bonnie, Kelly, Tanya, Natalie, Sarah and Michelle!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box