Pride and Prejudice, The Movie

I saw the new Pride and Prejudice on Tuesday, right as soon as I got out of school. Now, I hesitated to see this because Colin Firth is Darcy in my mind, and I love Jennifer Ehle, and I watch my DVD of the BBC version every few months, first to last. Can’t turn it off, don’t know why.

Image hosting by Photobucket

My mom and I planned to see the new movie over the Christmas holidays, but it was already out of the theater, so I waited till now.

I must admit my anticipation was heightened by my friend Diane’s raptures over the movie, but I also know that the more raves I hear about a movie, the less impressed I am.

So I was really glad to like the new Pride and Prejudice. I don’t think Keira deserves an Oscar nomination, but I did find some things I liked about the new movie better than the BBC version (sacrilege, I know.)

There was more affection between the Bennett parents. I liked this because it showed me why the girls believed in real love. I love the BBC parents, too, the father especially, but he was always so put upon. The movie mother was annoying, of course, but you could see Mr. Bennett’s tenderness for her.

Mr. Collins was perfect.

Wickham was cuter.

Darcy had a great voice. Kind of Clive Owen-y.

There is a definite chemistry between Lizzie and Darcy. When he hands her into the carriage, when he looks at her…. And that ending scene – sigh!

Image hosting by Photobucket

And frankly, it wasn’t too bad that some of the social events were condensed into one visit instead of several. I mean, the more Colin, the better, right, but it’s also nice to have a version to watch in an evening ;)

I did think Lizzie was a bit harsher in the movie, and Fitzwilliam was cuter in the BBC version. But I’m happy to have two options when I’m in the mood.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so want to see that movie :)

Toni Anderson said...

I must get the BBC version on DVD. I love it :D

And I really must get the movie--I just love the story :) I am such a sap!!

Sally Jo Shelton said...

I'm like you as I love the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice and have watched it over and over, and, believe it or not, I've read the book at least twenty times or more. The first part of the new movie was a bit fast-paced for me, and I felt like I was missing a lot of it. But the good thing is that, like you, I plan to watch it over and over so I'll be able to catch anything I missed the first time. The reason so many of us love seeing the Jane Austen movies and reading her books? Beside the fact that they have great dialogue and humor that rings true, they provide the sheer delight of beautiful love stories.

MJFredrick said...

Stacy, I definitely took some prejudice into the movie, but in the end, it charmed me. My little brother picked it up for me at WalMart tonight, because I couldn't find it earlier.

Bonnie and Toni, you really should see the movie. And Toni, I got the BBC version at bn.com awhile back for $30 - worth it!

Sally, I think you've hit it on the head. They're just wonderful. I can't believe I bought it, though. Other than Grey's Anatomy, I haven't bought a DVD since Cinderella Man!

Tracy Montoya said...

We must've watched this on the same day, Mary! I agree with everything you said, except I was on the fence about the affection between the parents. When I read the book, I got more of a feeling that the two had nothing in common and didn't have much of a relationship anymore, so the BBC version seemed truer to the book to me. But I did think the new film's choice here was interesting.

And what was up with Bingley's hair? It looked like he misunderstood the They Might Be Giants song and decided to build a little bird's nest on his head.

MJFredrick said...

Tracy, the parents' relationship in the BBC version made sense when I saw it, but I enjoyed the movie's version too. I'd like to think they had some love between them.

I don't really remember Bingley's hair. It was red. Poofy?

My friend bought the movie Thursday and has watched it FIVE TIMES!

Nikki, yes, MacFayden was different enough from Colin. Younger, too, I think. I googled him for fun and he's just not very pretty, though, is he?

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box