The Italian Stallion

128295149867813750psstrudyla.jpg

When I had lunch with Healing Brother the other day, he told me about Rocky Balboa. HB was always a Rocky fan. He said he used to read the movie novelizations in math class and get in trouble. I took him to see Rocky 4 for his birthday and he's never forgotten that (I have.) I always remember the Rocky movies as kinda hokey.

But after that conversation, Rocky 3 came on TV and I watched it. And it was good. REALLY emotional, what with Mickey dying and Rocky losing and afraid to fight Mr. T because the guy was just STRONG.

Last night I watched Rocky Balboa. I scoffed when it came out - Sylvester Stallone is my DAD'S age. But you know what? It was a great movie, really harkened back to the first movie (which I now want to see again, and show my son.) Rocky's alone again except for Pauly. The love of his life, Adrian, has passed away, his son feels like a failure around his dad and so doesn't want anything to do with him. So he decides to go back into boxing. I cried a ton, mostly nostalgia, I think, because apparently I remember these movies better than I thought.

Rocky's just a really good guy who wants to be happy, and he'll do whatever it takes.

Are you a Rocky fan? I'm putting Rocky 1 and 2 into my queue.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Okay, off to my workday. No AC, because, you know, apparently summer isn't LONG enough for them to put a new AC unit in our building - they had to wait till TODAY. We also don't have a sidewalk on either of the two school entrances (they're putting in covered walkways, but, um, hello, school starts MONDAY) and if we park in back to unload our cars, we run the risk of flat tires (Cindi had one, the principal had 2, a kinder teacher had 2) because the construction folks just left nails and screws on the ground.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the first Rocky movie and I watched all the rest. I still have to watch Rocky Balboa. The one where he fights the Russian was one I didn't really care for - that was Rocky 4. Rocky 2 he fights Apollo Creed again. Was it Rocky 3 where Andrea talks to him by the beach and gets him to admit that he's afraid to fight Mr. T.? Wow! I loved that scene. He asks, "How'd you get so tough?" She answers, "I married a fighter."
I even had the 8-track (yes, that's what I said) of the soundtrack from the first Rocky 1. I was in college in the late 70's. I would play the theme song and the song that plays when Andrea first visits him in his apartment (You Take My Heart Away) - something like that anyway.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Mary.

Lupe M. Gonzalez

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Wow, that really sucks about the construction. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you avoid a nail.

MJFredrick said...

Lupe, I loved that scene with Adrian and Rocky on the beach, too! You know, Adrian and Rocky are really a romantic couple. His love really changed and strengthened her!

And if it makes you feel better, I had the Grease soundtrack on 8 track!

Thanks, Natalie. So far, so good. The true test will be Monday, when the parents bring their kids and there's NO PLACE TO PARK.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, misspelled Adrian's name.

Lupe

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box