Judy Blume

128294130261407500iizdunab.jpg

I went to bed at 9:40 last night. Would have been earlier, but I went to Dawn’s blog and saw her cool jukebox and I wanted one. Played with that for 45 minutes, and after that could barely keep my eyes open to read! I miss sleep already.

I read Everything I Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume this week. It was a collection of essays from women writers about the role Judy Blume played in their growing up.

Some mentioned FOREVER as being the first book they read that talked about sex. REALLY talked about it, with all the terms and everything. I VAGUELY remember reading it, I think when I was fifteen. My cousin in New Jersey had it, I think. The first book I ever read with sex in it was the novelization of the Robby Benson movie ONE ON ONE. My same cousin had the novelization of ENDLESS LOVE, which had a scene in it too, about a ten on the ick factor, lemme tell ya.

Other writers mentioned reading DEENIE, which was about a beautiful girl who ended up wearing a back brace. I never read that one.

Others wrote about IT’S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD, a novel about divorce. I think I did read that one, but since my own parents were going through a divorce, and I wasn’t exactly traumatized by it, it didn’t stick.

Some wrote about STARRING SALLY J. FREEDMAN AS HERSELF. I went to Paperback Swap and ordered this one because it’s about a girl during WW2, and she makes up a lot of stories. Sounds right up my alley.

I remember reading THEN AGAIN, MAYBE I WON’T, which was from a boy’s POV, and talked about the issues boys have growing up and learning their bodies. I remember being SO confused reading it. WHY was he holding the math book in front of him???

MY Judy Blume book was ARE YOU THERE, GOD? IT’S ME, MARGARET. That book was the fifth grade girl bible at my school. I remember being so anxious about starting my period (WHY??) and growing breasts, and I remember when the first of my friends got her period and we were all so jealous. The requisite movie about your changing body filled us with more anticipation, because we understood because we already knew what to expect, thanks to Judy Blume.

I reread the book not too long ago, and you know what? The period stuff wasn’t the main story. The main story was Margaret choosing a religion. Remember, her mom was one and her dad was another, so they raised her without (maybe my mind couldn’t wrap around this concept, considering I grew up going to Mass every day.) Her story was about her search for where she belonged. She WANTED to be spiritual, she just didn’t know where.

I read my class TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING and the sequels. Last year I read them OTHERWISE KNOWN AS SHEILA THE GREAT, but we didn’t enjoy that one as well – no Fudge.

What was your Judy Blume book?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't read JB, but I sure like the jukebox! So did M.

Marianne Arkins said...

"Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret" was it for me, too. I read "Forever" in seventh grade and remember being horrified even then that there wasn't a HEA (apparently, I've always been a staunch HEA kinda gal).

Never read the others.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing was my favorite. I remember my teacher reading it to us. We were trained on her every word.

Superfudge was good, too!

Then when I got older, I read and LOVED Summer Sisters.

dawn said...

i loved 'margaret'...my mother didn't tell me anything about periods and aunt flo...nada. so judy blume was knowledge galore.

April said...

"Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" in one of my all time favorites! Love the jukebox!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Okay, that jukebox? Freaked me the hell out! I couldn't figure out why my computer was suddenly randomly playing music.

I read all of the Judy Blume books, over and over and over, and they all had an impact, but nothing really specific. I remember random things about them. Like, in Are You There God?... her grandmother comes to visit and gives the Mohammed/mountain quote. In Deenie, it's her thinking surgery would be cool, and the bathtub scene. In Forever, I don't even remember the sex! It was all about her visit to the gyn. LOL

MJFredrick said...

LOL, Stacy! The dh and I are both tripping on the jukebox. Whenever I have a few free minutes, I add more songs ;)

Marianne, you know, I don't remember reading Forever, but I remember not having good memories of it. Maybe it was the lack of HEA!

Jennifer, my kids LOVED 4th Grade Nothing. Come to think of it, I can't find my copy....I wonder if one of those rascals made off with it. I think I tried reading Summer Sisters, but didn't love it.

Sorry about freaking you out, Natalie! I remember that scene, too. It was wild for me because I was so close to both my gmas. MUST read Deenie! Lorelei even mentioned it on Gilmore Girls ;)

Funny how many of us hooked onto Margaret. JB sure did know how to reach into our minds, huh?

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box