What I've Learned About Writing - and What I Need to Learn

128294671259376250.jpg

Things I’ve learned in writing

1) Don’t start sentences with “It was” or “There were.”
2) Don’t use “she thought” or “she wondered” in deep POV.
3) 5 senses
4) give a sense of place and time at the beginning of a scene
5) show instead of tell, especially with emotion
6) POV (though I’ve become less of a purist – bad Mary)
7) Action tags ground you in a scene.
8) Don't use qualifiers, like kind of or almost - they weaken the emotional punch.

What I need to learn:

1) deeper emotion in each scene
2) how to plot
3) conflict in every scene
4) how to use dashes – why does that elude me? And does it stop me from using them? NOOOOO.

What have you learned? What do you need to learn?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

MicheleKS said...

I've learned:
- to let my heroine's sarcasmn and sense of humor show
- to make sure my guys don't talk in paragraphs
- dashes are good (I have to refrain from using them at work - corporate correspondance is sooo boring)

What I need to learn:
- how to keep from doing monster revisions
- how to sell

Jennifer Shirk said...

I've learned to control my use of LY adverbs. (Control--not eliminate) LOL!
I've learned to let my voice come out more.

I still need to learn what my "niche" is.

I still need to learn to not make my hero and heroine so passive that all they're doing is reacting to people and situations around them.

I still need to control my use of dialogue tags.

I still need to learn how to plot better.

MJFredrick said...

LOL, Michele, I completely get you on NOT doing monster revisions!! My BANE!

Jennifer, it IS hard to make our characters active, isn't it? I love your list!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box