Inferiority Complex

Oh, my God, did you READ the interview with Lisa Kleypas in the RWR? Okay, it’s not enough that she’s GORGEOUS and a genuine lady (met her at the Merritt one year), or even that she got published when she was 21 (she said desperation drove her – uhhh…). But now she’s writing for 2 publishers – historical for Avon and contemporary for SMP.

Then there was the June issue, I think, with an interview with Sherrilyn Kenyon who writes for a kabillion publishers, and – no lie – can write 100 pages in a DAY. A DAY. My personal best is 26 pages in a day and it about killed me.

Should we mention Julie Kenner, who also writes for a kabillion publishers and did so while a fulltime lawyer and mommy to a small child? I know, teachers have a lot of extra work, but not like a lawyer. Criminey. And I didn’t start writing seriously till my boy was 5, and even then, it wasn’t all that serious, ya know?

I won’t even talk about la Nora, who writes 8 hours a day. Monday thru Friday. Then cooks dinner. Dude, if you were Nora, would you cook ever again? NOT me. If I didn’t like going out, I’d have a cook. (I hate to cook, see? Especially with no OVEN.)

What about Shirley Jump, who writes for a couple of publishers and freelances? Does she sleep?

Then there’s this published writer in my chapter who can go off on an idea that pops into her head and have it PLOTTED in 45 minutes. Not just a novel. A SERIES. It is astounding to watch. Unbelievable.

So I’m feeling a little inferior right now….damn, did you get that? A HUNDRED pages in a day.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

10 comments:

Toni Anderson said...

Me too! If I had 8 hours a day I'd write at least 20 pages LOL. We all work at different paces, stop comparing yourself!! I am so slow, but just keep at it. My trouble is trying to get my brain out of bathtime/bedtime and into a romance frame of mind.

Ok--hear kidlets, better go be mom :)

Amie Stuart said...

*feeling inferior too*

=(

Trish Milburn said...

LOL! I was wondering about Gerry's wild-ass hair too. :)

If I had to force 100 pages a day out of my brain, it would be the size of a grain of salt when it was done and I'b be a blabbering idiot.

Toni has a point, though. We can't compare ourselves to other writers. That way lies madness.

And I'd so have a cook. I'm not the world's greatest chef, but I can manage mac and cheese from a box. :)

Anonymous said...

If I wasn't already dealing with an inferiority thing, I'd be feeling like Inch High Private Eye. Remember him? That'd be me, minus the private eye part.

I'd read that about Kenyon, but not the others. Sheesh. I'm such a slacker.

MicheleKS said...

I think my personal best was around fifty pages a day but it was a fluke. If I wrote full-time I'd probably do ten to fifteen pages a day or more.

And I like to cook though would like to have more money to eat out, and though Gerry looks like a wild man in the picture, I can't wait to see that movie.

MJFredrick said...

Nikki, LOLOLOL!!!

Ya know, as a teacher with summer's off, I SWORE I'd write at least ten pages a day. Did I? Nope. Toward the end I kinda got into the swing, but my comfort zone was about 8 pages a day. I worked on the story every day, though, and I will be done with the sucker this weekend. I'm on the LAST SCENE. (What am I doing here, then, you ask? About to take a nap.)

Do y'all keep track of your daily page count? I keep an Excel chart I got from kresleycole.com.

Anonymous said...

Everyone has different artistic processes. Sometimes I'm fast, sometimes I'm slow. I don't think I could plot an entire series in 45 minutes! WOW!

Anonymous said...

First of all, Beowulf, wulf, wulf... :)

My personal best is 35 pages in a day. My record is 150 pages in five days. And I have the inflamed nerve to show for it (it still acts up when I do too much). I just don't compare myself to the other authors...what's right for me is the only thing I can do, or SHOULD do. They can do what they want, more power to them. I gotta be me. :)

JoAnn

MJFredrick said...

Kendra, it was just so much fun to watch. She was literally bouncing in her seat as she came up with ideas. There were a lot of "I knows" and exclamation points, lemme tell you!

JoAnn, 35 in one day? YIKES!

Anonymous said...

I think 26 was my personal best, too. I'd fall over and die at 100. You'd have to resuscitate me!!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box