Sometimes Hollywood Gets It Right

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sometimes Hollywood gets it right. Some of the most romantically satisfying movies put out by Hollywood, IMO:

Two Weeks Notice – I love the repartee. I love the scene where they’re stuck in traffic. That’s a couple that will live happily ever after.

Princess Bride – Great characters, great adventure. Why didn’t Inigo Montoya find a girl? And why is he now advertising cholesterol medication?

Romancing the Stone – I love that she’s a romance writer. I love that she’s transformed by romance. I love the action, and I love that he leaves her, she’s her own woman, and THEN he comes for her.

Bridget Jones – “To Darcy, who likes her just as she is.”And to all the women who squirmed watching their own lives on the screen.

The Mummy – The tension in this one was amazing – they didn’t kiss till the last scene. And even the idea that Imhotep did all he did for love was romantic.

Speed – Another where they didn’t kiss till the last scene. I’m sensing a trend, here. But boy, when he wrapped himself around her when the bus jumped that gap….

While You Were Sleeping – Ordinary people, outrageous circumstances, but did you just want to adopt Lucy?

A Walk in the Clouds – Yes, he was married to someone else, but nothing happened till he was free. And God help me, that kiss.

Hitch – Oh, to see an arrogant man fall.

Ladyhawke – The ultimate historical paranormal romance. Rutger Hauer not playing a bad guy.

Ever After – Dougray Scott, an independent Cinderella – you go, Drew!

Never Been Kissed – If it hadn’t been Michael Vartan, would I have been grossed out by a teacher liking a student? Drew was charming, though!

Fools Rush In – Can you NOT love Matthew Perry? This was such a cute romance about different cultures/expectations.

Sabrina – either version – Crotchety Linus gets the girl!

Pride and Prejudice - the BBC version - WHY did they think they had to remake it?

Then there are the ones that are wrong – all wrong!

Message in a Bottle – Never have I wanted to smash my television screen as much as I did with this movie.

City of Angels – GAH! Bad enough Meg Ryan was in it, playing a DOCTOR. Please. I only have so much imagination.

Kate and Leopold – Even Hugh the Beautiful couldn’t save this movie. So many holes. So much collagen.

The Wedding Planner – Hello, J Lo, he’s the GROOM. Ew.

Serendipity – Dude, she’s a flake. Forget her.

You’ve Got Mail – Meg looked cute in this movie. I bought shoes like hers the very next day. That’s absolutely all I remember. Except they had AOL and she had a cool computer table.

Notting Hill – Poor little rich girl. Maybe I would have been more charmed if it wasn’t Julia Roberts.

One Fine Day – Bitch, bitch, bitch. Fall asleep. Yeah, there’s true love.

A Knight’s Tale – HE FELL IN LOVE WITH THE WRONG GIRL!!

Pretty Woman – Having sex. For money. IS NOT ROMANTIC.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH! I agree about a Knight's Tale. I wanted him with the armory girl. WHAT was he thinking???

MJFredrick said...

I KNOW, Michelle! How much better would it have been for conflict if, after trying to rise above his station for so long, he fell for a common girl?

Anonymous said...

I love all of those movies! Sabrina is my all-time favorite and one I thought was so cute and romantic was French Kiss with Kevin Kline.

I watched a Knight's Tale simply because I have a Heath Ledger fetish. :)

MJFredrick said...

I haven't seen French Kiss in a long time. I watch Knight's Tale for the dancing. LOVE "Golden Years."

Elizabeth Kerri Mahon said...

I love all your choices, but I have to include 4 Weddings and a Furneral, French Kiss, Down with Love, The Notebook, any Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie. I did love Sweet Home Alabama. Hmm, Patrick Dempsey or Josh Lucas. And yes, 'Pretty Shopping' was one of the worst movies of all time.

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to get past the pic of a shirtless Gerard...siggghhhh....thank you, Mar...

Ahem...movies, yes, movies! :) Mar, I love your list...YES, those are great flicks! I'm trying to think of some more, but you chose many of the best. Thanks for adding Ladyhawke...the end, when he lifts her in his arms, able to be with her at last...sniff. It's also a paranormal, which is my thing.

The only good thing about One Fine Day is watching George Clooney in that kiss. Not a bad way to spend 30 seconds... :)

JoAnn

MJFredrick said...

Is that not a GREAT picture of Gerry? My hero in my WIP, exactly. How will my heroine be able to do her job??

Ahem.

Interesting that you mention MOMENTS in the films that make them memorable. A lot of these that I listed are listed because of moments - the kiss in A Walk in the Clouds. The dance in A Knight's Tale. The kiss in Never Been Kissed.

Elizabeth, I didn't care for Sweet Home Alabama, don't remember why. You're right about 4 Weddings (that funeral - SOB!) I liked Down with Love, so charming. Didn't see beyond the first couple of scenes of The Notebook, couldn't bear the emotion. My friend Priscilla from the Wet Noodle Posse was in the carnival scene at the beginning, one of the girls the hero's friend is admiring.

Trish Milburn said...

My favorite movie is Last of the Mohicans. I love the mix of history, costumes, a couple of love stories, scenery and Daniel Day-Lewis with long hair. :) And Eric Schweig wasn't half bad either.

Trish Milburn said...

Oh, and another cute one is Benny and Joon.

MJFredrick said...

I do like Benny and Joon! And how could I forget The Last of the Mohicans - "I WILL find you!" But the images that stay in my mind are the British soldier who sacrifices himself for them, and the sister throwing herself off the cliff.

You may notice my movies are lighter in tone ;)

Trish Milburn said...

Yeah, my heart just broke when Alice dropped over the cliff Uncas had just gone over. Jodhi May, who played Alice, was such a fragile, soft beauty, and I've only seen her in one other thing that escapes me at the moment. Eric Schweig was recently in Into the West. He played Sitting Bull. I've visited several of the places where the movie was filmed in North Carolina, and it's just a beautiful area.

MJFredrick said...

The thing that's cool about secondary romances is that you can have them end sadly. As long as the main romance ends well, the audience is satisfied.

Remember how we got the roof fixed? Well, it's raining everywhere in Texas EXCEPT here! How will I know it's fixed if it won't rain??

Amie Stuart said...

Josh Lucas-definitely. I loved that movie *wiping chin*. And I'm sorry but the anti-chick flick person that I am I loved Legally Blonde and the equally cheesy sequel.
michelle I'm with you on A knight's tale but heath....yummity scrummity!
Mary I agree about the mummy and never been kissed (maybe I'll rent that this weekend).
Mary sorry you didn't get any rain. We got totally dumped on!!!!! ARGGGGGG But I did make it to BN for books last night =)

MJFredrick said...

I agree on Legally Blonde - I liked those, too, because she was such a nice person, you know?

And Cece, weren't you complaining about having too much to read?? And you went to BN? What did you get?

Dixie Belle said...

Last of the Mohicans is one of my favorites! And Speed. They had such chemistry. I also love some of the ones without the HEA. Titantic and Ghost come to mind.

MJFredrick said...

I do love Speed. They should never have made a sequel, though.

I only saw Titanic once. My MIL loves it. I think I only saw Ghost once, too.

My dh put Timeline in today, not thinking, apparently. Then when Gerry came on screen he gave me a disgusted look. "I didn't know your BOYFRIEND was in it." Well, why else would I watch it, I ask you?

Amie Stuart said...

Aw god! I just bought books off of amazon.com like two weeks ago--i had a gift certificate. I went to BN friday and got Michelle Cunnah's Confession of a Serial Dater, Susan McBrides Blue Blooded (i'm so far behind but I started reading her blog and made a point to pick it up). Mary Schramski's What to Keep and Rexanne Becnel's Old Boyfrinds (both Next books) and Kay Hoopers latest paperback (cuz I forgot to buy it in hardcover last year).

MJFredrick said...

Holy Cow, Cece! That's a lot of reading.

That said, I did buy Lori Handeland's Super yesterday when I went to Robyn DeHart's booksigning.

Amie Stuart said...

Hopefully i'll get them read by the end of the year *blush*

MJFredrick said...

Yeah, I don't think I'll finish all the books I have in the next FIVE years. And I have 20 more books on order from Amazon.

The Lori Handeland is really good - I didn't know they wrote action adventure Supers!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box