The Givenchy Code

Today’s book recommendation is The Givenchy Code, by Julie Kenner. Yes, I admit I bought this book because of the title. It is the Best Title Ever. I didn’t know how I’d like it, because it is another “chick lit.” What I am learning is that chick lit is quite broad.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

While this book started out as you would expect a chick lit to, with the heroine in NYC, shopping at high end stores with her best friend, lusting for brand names, it quickly turned to something more my style.

Murder. Intrigue. Woman in jeopardy. Hero as a bodyguard. Yum.

All the intrigue stems from a video game that has gone “live.” Both the hero and heroine used to play the complicated game (I’m not EVEN gonna try to explain – I don’t think I could) whose rules have transcended the medium and infiltrated Manhattan. The hero and heroine have to solve clues to save their lives.

I loved Mel. She was a SMART heroine who didn’t panic, didn’t pout, but worked her way through this book. She was sympathetic and sexy and sharp.

Stryker was hot and dependable and did I mention hot? My only complaint was that the love scenes, well, weren’t.

But I definitely have The Manolo Matrix on my wish list!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6 comments:

Jill Monroe said...

Julie Kenner is awesome!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I read this a while ago and just bought The Manolo Matrix. I liked Givenchy a lot, but the shoe shopping bored the hell out of me.

I liked Carpe Demon, too, which had all the stuff you like with the chick lit tone and motherhood and no shoes. Or at least, not boringly. :)

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite books! I've got The Manolo Matrix on order. Loved Carpe Demon, too, and can't wait for its sequel.

MJFredrick said...

Yeah, the shoe bit was....eh. But I loved the intrigue. I have Carpe Demon in my TBR, and California Demon on my wish list.

I've read two of her Aphrodite books, and one of her Temptations, I think, too.

Anonymous said...

Mar, this is an actual subgenre...chic lit mysteries! Deborah Donnelly's books would be chic lit cozies. I love 'em.

J

MJFredrick said...

I don't know if I'd call it a mystery - more action/adventure. Which is of course why I liked it!

Goodreads

M.J. Fredrick's books on Goodreads
Breaking DaylightBreaking Daylight
ratings: 11 (avg rating 3.33)

Beneath the SurfaceBeneath the Surface
ratings: 11 (avg rating 4.00)

Hot ShotHot Shot (Samhain)
reviews: 2
ratings: 10 (avg rating 4.00)

Where There's SmokeWhere There's Smoke
ratings: 6 (avg rating 4.00)

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
Powered By Blogger

Good Reads

Widget_logo

Followers

About Me

My Photo
MJFredrick
I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. I have five cats and a dog to keep me company. I love bookstores and libraries and Netflix - movies are my greatest weakness.
View my complete profile

Archive

Beneath the Surface

Breaking Daylight

Breaking Daylight Review

Where There's Smoke

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where There's Smoke Review

Photobucket

Bull by the Horns

Photobucket

Hot Shot Reviews

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Hot Shot

Photobucket

Carina Press

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Join My Newsletter

    Where Visitors Live

    MJ Fredrick Fan Page's Fan Box